Recommended Impact Bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions or links? I seem to predominantly use PZ2 screws, any recommendations from the usual suspects? I only recently bought an impact driver and I've been using up a set of Dewalt (non impact) bits over the last few weeks or so (went through six in about half hour on a recent project) so really need to get some proper bits. Toolstation have a set of 10 Makita bits for £15, guess I'll try them.

Sponsored Links
I like DeWalt. Toolstation own brand - one set ok, the next set brittle, tried some Milwaukee and they were brittle (they don't wear out just snap). DeWalt were on special offer at Toolstation or Screwfix last week - cheaper that eBay with delivery. £4 for 25. Not sure about £1.50 a pop!

see this thread for a pretty full discussion of choices:

or this one:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Haven't found wera any better than bosch or dewalt tbh.

Blup

Impact tools have to be extra-hard to reduce wear

This hard alloy is more brittle and less tough than the steel used in hand tools.

This is known, and deliberate.

Good-quality hand tools are most often Chrome-Vanadium steel (and have been for more than 50 years)

Impact bits may be Chrome-Molybdenum, or cobalt steel, or something else. I don't think there is agreement yet on the best alloy. Driver bits are a high volume product and price is the big driver. They are also very small and there is no scope to make them thicker for greater strength (as you can do with socket spanners, for example).

Last edited:
I only have a 12v impact driver, my regular bits are fine for occasional use. That said, yeah Wiha and Wera have a deserved reputation for quality.

The absolute best I've found for an18 volt impact driver are the Wera Impaktor bits. Other hard bits by Wihas and Wera are very good. I find that cheaper bits are too brittle and shatter too easily. Milwaukee bits tend to round over prematurely rather than shatter as already stated.

One the other hand, for use on my 12 volt Milwaukee oil impact driver at home I don't need anything as fancy because it simply doesn't have the power

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Milwaukee bites the dust. I have never managed to round one of these off. Maybe I have a dodgy batch.

IMG_20230717_104547471_HDR.jpg

I used to think Milwaukee tools were good quality. They tend to be always more expenisive than others. But quality?

The one in the pic shows brittle fracture damage, not wear. The bits for power tools are extra hard to resist wear, but must be a tight fit in the workpiece, not rattling about.

Is there any chance it could have been incorrect size, or a Pozi/Phillips mismatch?

I bought a Milwaukee set, and am not too impressed. They don't seem to grip the screwfix gold pozi screws well.
I'll stick with the Bosch or Wera Impactor in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back