Recommended spacing for cabinet doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a cabinet (basic MDF stuff), what clearance/spacing would you recommend for the doors on the top, bottom and sides?

Is 2mm all around enough or do people normally give a bit more room?

Sponsored Links
Lay-on doors, 4 to 5mm between two doors, inset (face-frame) about 1.5 to 2mm if using decent quality traditional brass butt hinges (but remember that you can get , 1.5 and 2mm plastic packers) - difficult to achieve with concealed hinges on spacer blocks I find

Thanks, I intend to use concealed blum soft close cabinet hinges. Would 2mm around the frame and 4mm between where the doors meet work?

Sponsored Links
The gapping depends on the style of carcass, which you haven't stated. Are you using lay-on doors (i.e. the type you normally see on frameless modern kitchens), or are you doing a piece with in-frame doors (i.e. the so-called "face frame" style)? Also what thickness are your doors?

@JobAndKnock Thanks, they are in-frame/inset doors built with 22mm MDF.

Like this, but opening together in pairs and with concealed blum soft close hinges:

upload_2018-1-15_17-46-18.png

Thats a flush door.

As opposed to overlay.

Gaps are typically 2mm, we shoot in doors leaving 5mm overall, by the time the face frame and door is painted, the gap is pretty close to 2mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back