Recommissioning Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler was fitted about 4 years ago. Its a Valliant Ecotec32 and was installed on the outside wall of my garage.

I've demolished the garage now and a new one has been built. The flow, DHW and cold inlet pipes are all back in place and the gas pipe is about 1 meter away in 22mm. The pipes are lined up with the boiler inlets and outlets - ie they literally need the compression fittings installing onto the boiler.

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have my boiler refitted - I cant fit it because I'm not Gas Safe registered. Basically, the flue needs coring out and 5 pipes need connecting. It seems I'm asking for the impossible. Is this a job a gas fitter would entertain ordinarily..... and I cant get my head round why people are talking about 750 quid upwards to do it. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I'd connect all the pipes myself except the gas one.

Drill the flue yourself, you can hire out core drills instead of buying

Then just get a gse to connect the gas pipe and flue and service the boiler.

Yeah.... I think ill do that then. Its finding someone willing to do a small quick job. The extension is going through the BCO so it needs doing above board

Good luck with that. It’s against regulations to knowingly sign off other people’s work. Unsure of the costs, as I’m not SE, so wouldn’t know, and obviously don’t know site conditions.

Sponsored Links
Which bit is against the regs? Obviously the gas pipe - hence getting a gse to do that. The flue is new and would also be left to an engineer. And if coring the hole for the flue has to he done by a gse, then ill leave that to them aswell.

Good luck with that. It’s against regulations to knowingly sign off other people’s work. Unsure of the costs, as I’m not SE, so wouldn’t know, and obviously don’t know site conditions.

Lol,

Surely they would be signing off the gas and flue connection that they would be installing?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were planning on doing the flue :oops:

On terms of 'site conditions'.... its a empty domestic garage, brick and block cavity wall. Fused spur in place and gas pipe needs extending by about 80 cm to reach. Basically, it was laid out from the ground up with the boiler location being in mind. I cant imagine a much simpler job..... but it feels a bit like I'm being held to ransom :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
My boiler was fitted about 4 years ago. Its a Valliant Ecotec32 and was installed on the outside wall of my garage.

I've demolished the garage now and a new one has been built. The flow, DHW and cold inlet pipes are all back in place and the gas pipe is about 1 meter away in 22mm. The pipes are lined up with the boiler inlets and outlets - ie they literally need the compression fittings installing onto the boiler.

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility to have my boiler refitted - I cant fit it because I'm not Gas Safe registered. Basically, the flue needs coring out and 5 pipes need connecting. It seems I'm asking for the impossible. Is this a job a gas fitter would entertain ordinarily..... and I cant get my head round why people are talking about 750 quid upwards to do it. Am I missing something?

It has puzzled me for years - 500-750 to connect up some pipes is what I have experienced as well - A fantastic monopoly for some - I am waiting for the usual naysayers to complain about having to run a van and how many years training it takes and paying for screwdrivers and lunch to justify that day rate. I also wont fogetthe very expesnive compression fitting (£3 each if not mistaken) - meanwhile in central london office workers need to pay for public transport and buy their own lunches from their own salaries after paying for attending university to study maths for four years and spending weekends and all eveenings studying after graduating are lucky to earn a fifth of that if they are lucky .

It is a monopoly and an increasing proportion of trades people today over value their time - seems quite prevalent in gas and electric, but thats a consequence of tieing peoples hands behind their backs when it comes to alternatives. Ill pay whatever a job costs when it seems fair.... but 750 quid (and beyond) for a couple of hours work just doesn't add up. But they can quote that because I have no alternative.... its like they all belive their own hype. When did 500 quid a day become a realistic price. I have builders on site who are doing a fantastic job for decent money.... but I had 1 spark estimate me 3 to 4k to install a 4mm radial circuit with 6 sockets and to extend a light circuit into 2 new rooms - its silly money.

It has puzzled me for years - 500-750 to connect up some pipes is what I have experienced as well - A fantastic monopoly for some
I’m not going to argue about costs, as I’m not self employed. However it seems to me, all the little jobs I’ve done, some people are reluctant to pay a decent amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back