Record passes

N

namsag

For the 27th or 29th year running A level passes have increased. So why do kids today seem thicker than ever.

Sponsored Links
Because they are 'educated' to pass the exams. Good for schools. This year will be breaking point for students using 'clearing' and many will not succeed in getting their places at University.

Personally, grades mean fook all - no common sence and you'll get nowhere. I left school with 4 GCSE's, 2 A Levels and they were not exactly required to become an apprentice gas engineer.

If you were to scrutinise the members of Dragons Den, you will find they are un-educated 'academically'.

Paul

having seen the way my son and his friends communicate via text and facebook. i am surprised they could manage to pass anything their spelling / grammar is atrocious.

There seems to be a clear divide with kids today. They are either academically competent or complete troglodytes.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, we'd all have something to say if the pass rate didn't improve year on year but the kids are taught 'what's in the exam' though.

In all walks of life, when an objective becomes easily reachable and tedious, then one raises the bar, i.e. in sports, engineering, science etc.

It seems that with secondary education we have become rather stuck and that league tables have a greater say.

Ho hum.

When you first start school you learn things by rote, (I did many years ago anyway).
A is for Apple,
B is for Bed,
C is for Cat et al.

As you get a little older you learn A can also be for Arrow, Arch, Airplane etc,
B can be for Broom, Brush, Belt etc.

Nowadays in Universities it seems that they learn by rote but it stops there.
A is for Apple and nothing else!
B is for Bed and nothing else!

Where has the thirst for knowledge gone in the younger generation? If they ask a question, (and some do believe it or not), they are told not to worry about that as it is not in the syllabus so they don't need to know it.
FFS! We are in danger of turning out a generation of 'Robots' who will do as they are told to do because 'thats the way it is.'
We need to allow them to think and express their opinions of things not just learn things that will get them a useless piece of paper at the end of a couple of years in 'further education'.

one of the main reasons the results are getting better is because some schools wont put some kids in the exams as they know they will briong down that school percentage of grades.

the problem here is things move on
now i would agree that some exams may seem simpler[including to me]

but i think we are disrespecting the the boys and girls its not there fault its the system they can only do whats asked off them

now we know some kids are disrespecfull and some are fully unrully but you must not tar all kids the same
and its only fair that we give the kids respect if we expect it back

There seems to be a clear divide with kids today. They are either academically competent or complete troglodytes.
Just like it was in 1970. But you got free Uni then:cool: I was clever enough to realise that was not for me , and lucky enough to be sitting here now not needing to work :LOL:

If the school i went to is anything to go by it had a great record for passes but because it fixed the results. We took regular 'mock' exams and if they didn't think you'd pass the real thing, they politely explained to you and your parents that there was little point going through the stress of an exam when chances are you weren't going to pass. As it goes i did reasonably well in my exams, but i reckon i've porbably used about 30% of what i learnt during my GCSE and A-Level years (and most of that was from Maths) since leaving school. I'm all for teaching kids the important things (the three Rs) but everything else should be stuff that is actually going to useful in adult life. I got a place at Uni but decided not to go, a decision i'm very pleased about as most of my friends now have degrees but are either struggling for work, working in a career totally unrelated to their degree or doing shop work or the like to pay the bills. And on top of that they have huge debts which most believe they will never, ever pay off.

Still... maximising the number of young adults in further education makes the unemployment figures look good - or at least it did for a few years.

Wait until the GCSE results come out, and you'll see that there will be a record number of passes...why? Because our friends in Westminster decided that the pass rate must increase or the schools will be designated as failing...so the goal posts have moved.

Instead of kids studying one subject and getting one grade at the end, many subjects are now 'dual award' which means for the same amount of coursework and generally an easier exam at the end, they get two 'A's or 'B's etc instead of just one - so no wonder the percentage pass rate increases.

In fact, in some subjects - science for example - a child can be awarded 4 equivalent GCSE grades...any sense in that?

One of the reasons that I resigned from the best job in the world, after 33 years. John

the children are not educated at home.. so god help the second class teachers.

Sponsored Links
Back