Recycling

Who should be sorting out rubbish for recycling?

• The Public

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Sorting/Recycle Centres

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TtT I agree we produce far too much waste but this cannot fall solely on the public responsibility, after all we live in a society that governs how we live our lives and waste is part of that process, so going back to the original question shouldn't it be governments responsibility to break the waste loop and not left to us to solve another of societies problems?
Agreed we can do our bit, but if there is as seems, no present solution to the dilemma my suggestion was to generate jobs.
As an interim solution I can't see anyting wrong with it.

Sponsored Links
tim west said:
As an interim solution I can't see anyting wrong with it.

Tim. Once waste is mixed it cannot always be unmixed. That is why it should be sorted before it reaches the tip.

Fair enough but are we saying it's not economicably viable rather than impossible? If the former then that could be a cop out by the authorities to justify landfill, after all they are forcing us to give up time seperating and visiting bottle banks etc for free so why by the same account couldnt a lot of workers do the same? may take longer to sort out but economics shouldnt come into it when there are people out of work.

It's the plastic packaging that's the problem. When I was a kid everything came in paper bags, glass bottles and tins. If we turned the clock back a bit then we'd be able to recycle just about everything.
Do you know we dump to landfill 20 million Tesco type plastic bags every day?

Sponsored Links
a small amount of effort from a lot of people (public) is a more logical solution than a lot of effort from a small amount of people (recycling centres).

if we sorted before we sling then, as joe says, it will save a lot of time and effort further down the line.

It's the plastic packaging that's the problem. When I was a kid everything came in paper bags, glass bottles and tins. If we turned the clock back a bit then we'd be able to recycle just about everything.
Do you know we dump to landfill 20 million Tesco type plastic bags every day?
Yes we can recycle the use of plastic bags till they need throwing away but then the problem with them is they are one of the items we are told not to put in recycle bins so they get put in the landfill bins?? so where's the logic there? seems its selective recycling going on here, surely recycling should be left to the experts?

a small amount of effort from a lot of people (public) is a more logical solution than a lot of effort from a small amount of people (recycling centres).

if we sorted before we sling then, as joe says, it will save a lot of time and effort further down the line.
Ah but thats where I say its wrong, lets get the unemployed off their backsides and have many working to recycle, that's the point i've been trying to put across.

Joe-90 Wrote:
Once waste is mixed it cannot always be unmixed. That is why it should be sorted before it reaches the tip.
This needs further clarification as there are many recycling plants up and down the country who recycle commercially ... We have one two miles down the road from where I live.

Waste get's dumped by the truckload (non-compacted) and people sort it into the different piles, bins etc.

I would agree that this wouldn't work for the usual refuse collection trucks as they compact the waste but that doesn't mean it isn't a viable alternative to homeowners doing it themselves.

The public are also able to use the site to freely dispose of their own waste (though they need to sort it out themselves).

As I said in previous posts we should have a choice ... Recycle if we choose to and use the standard refuse collection services included in our council tax or pay a premium for someone else to do it and have a life ... I choose the latter. :LOL:

MW

Whilst I recycle at home as instructed, I believe it is uneconomic and I can't see any real benefit to the enviroment.

What is wrong with Landfill?

Probably several of you in the past fifty years have travelled by train on the main line from Scotland to Kings Cross. A mile or so south of Peterborough, you used to pass the London Brick Company's site, with it's kilns, chimneys, conveyors that had made millions of bricks for a hundred or so years.

In the fifties all the brick making gear disapeared leaving massive holes in the ground that were gradually filling with water, then the Council took it over and for the next thirty or forty years these holes were filled with the domestic rubbish from miles around.

Go past today and what do you see? A huge and pleasant housing estate, schools (five planned), playing fields,a large shopping complex including a 24 hour supermarket (and even a Police Station) with dual carriageways on two sides.

All built on our discarded rubbish. Tell me what is wrong with that.,,,

The London Brick Company's site, with it's kilns, chimneys, conveyors that had made millions of bricks for a hundred or so years.

Go past today and what do you see? A huge and pleasant housing estate, schools (five planned), playing fields,a large shopping complex including a 24 hour supermarket (and even a Police Station) with dual carriageways on two sides.

All built on our discarded rubbish. Tell me what is wrong with that.,,,

Apart from the risks of radon and other evil gasses, subsidence and the general toxicity of the site. the problem with land fill is that it is a finite solution. as you say yourself the holes were the result of a centuries activity, such holes are not created at the the same rate as we produce rubbish. so it will come to finding valleys and then other geographic features to fill.

But even that misses the point. part of the issue is the enormous amount of energy (mainly petrochemical) that is embodied in all of the buried matter. If we become accustomed to being able to simply lose all of that material, just to make it from scratch, everytime we need some more, the use of energy increases.
Considered alongside of most business models ideal, that of steady growth, our demand for newly created stuff will simply keep increasing at a logarithmic rate, and with it our need for more, and larger holes.

It seems to me that any vestige of re-usability that our consumer items have is almost a left over of the old re-usable repairable mentality that most of us grew up with. for instance; razors started of as a lifetime purchase and were sharpenable, then they became re-bladable and the manufacturer saw more profit , the next logical step was disposable (even more profit).
If any self respecting business could make tv sets or power tools that were single use (i.e. no on/off switch) cheaply enough they would because the sales would change from every few years to every week.

It is exactly this escalation that is causing the crisis that we increasingly find ourselves in. you may say that it is not that bad, but when you consider how recently this has become a problem, compared to our presence, even if you only count post industrial urbanised society. The hundred years that the brick fields were in use saw a managed sustainable approach to waste, it is only in the past 50 or so years the advent of a consumer society that these effects have been getting out of control.

So for now there may be nothing wrong with a few people living on rubbish heaps, but the way we are going we will all be doing that, and the future will probably hold a day when we have to go mining the rubbish for the minerals and embodied energy that we cant produce ourselves anymore.

But even that misses the point. part of the issue is the enormous amount of energy (mainly petrochemical) that is embodied in all of the buried matter.
Then some might say landfill is merely securing stockpiles of fuel for the future ;)

But even that misses the point. part of the issue is the enormous amount of energy (mainly petrochemical) that is embodied in all of the buried matter.
Then some might say landfill is merely securing stockpiles of fuel for the future ;)

you've got a point there.
anyone know how to go about buying the mineral rights for the local tip?

Sponsored Links
Back