Red Rawlplugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Does anyone know when red rawlplugs first became available?
Thanks,
Elaine

Sponsored Links
There is no formal colour code for rawlplugs. At the moment though most are following what seems to be an informal industry standard. As for the plastic version, I would guess the same as Burnerman.

Interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_plug has nothing to say about the colour coding yet.

I am just wondering why you ask?

Ha! Well, I have discovered that the first plastic wall plugs were not designed until 1958 and they I guess were brown or grey, so maybe colour coded ones a bit later?? I thought maybe even 80's?? Any other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
It's in relation to my other posting. I have a red rawlplug fixing the board in the chimney to the fireplace and thought maybe if I could date the rawlplug then maybe it would give me a clue as to whether the board is less likely to be asbestos if it was say 80's rawl plug...!! :)

The original plugs were a brown rather fibrous material, and the original Rawldrill was a hexagonal shaft with a tough bit in the end.....which you bashed with a hammer, turned it and bashed again. After a good while the hole would be formed - a delightful process known as 'pluggin'.
Prior to that, cement could be chiselled out from a brick bed and a timber wedge brayed in.....another wonderful technique that the apprentice learned after a month doing nowt else :p
John :)
Edit - just remembered - the drill of torture was called a star drill :D
J.

That's impressive! Well, as far as I can see, the screw just looks like what I would call... a 'screw' and there's not much of the red plastic plug to see. Blagard has already seen my pic and goven me some fab advice but here it is if you fancy having a guess John (or should I say Dr Watson?!)

Is that my cataracts or is that a corrugated material?
If it is, then its likely to be asbestolux sheet. The only thing I can say is that is a PZ2 screw which looks fairly recent....any more clues please?
(Any worries about this substance, then keep it damp for dust).

Thanks John, how recent is a PZ2 screw then?
What's left of the sheet is flat so not corrugated like a garage roof you mean? Sorry, might be the cataracts ;) but it's not easy to see as it's been broken by the plumbers who took out a baxi back boiler when we had a new central heating system.
I'm going to research screws next! ;)
Elaine

The pozidriv screws are more recent than the asbestolux, Elaine....how old that is is anyones guess!
Asbestolux was replaced with a silicate substance called Supalux - much more sparkly (like me shoes :p )
How much of this stuff is there, and whats your project?

Blimey, Burnerman, you must be from the same era as me, be interested to see the modern chaps drilling concrete with a Rawlplug tool. Do you remember the old guns used to drive a nail or stud into steel or concrete, I think they were made by Hilti and used an explosive cartridge to drive the nail. They were pretty lethal and would be banned by H&S now.

I certainly do remember that Hilti (but not the number though) as my builder dad had one......3 strengths of cartridges on a 10 shot card, and the nails were stuck in the end of the barrel individually. Depress the barrel end and 'bang' .....your ears rang for the rest of the day :p
You could even shoot threaded studs into steel stantions, but they sometimes bent and you'd never get the sods out!
I believe someone was seriously hurt when a nail or whatever pierced a concrete floor and continued :eek:
John (59 7/12ths) :p

Looks like same month as me but still a young un - 72 7/12ths. Retired but still doing a bit.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that asbestos was still being used in products up to early 2002 approx which did surprise me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back