Reduced water consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1667295285269.png

I have replaced the boiler and hot water cylinder with a combi. Secondary circulation was previously installed but is now removed with the combi in place. As I expected, the draw-off to the tap at point Z takes about 2 minutes to come up to temperature. If I loop back into the combi will that shorten the draw-off time and would there be any forseeable problems when using point A and pointZ at the same time.

Sponsored Links
As long as the mains pressure can supply both at the same time then there should be an issue but do know a combi will always struggle supplying more than one hot outlet at a time. It just the nature of combi's

You do want to avoid long lengths of water pipe where there may be little or no movement of water, in the main, this is to avoid bacterial growth.

Water consumption means unused water but that water can be used again, it's just wasted. Heating water in a secondary loop means additional energy which cannot be reused and adds to emissions.

To reduce waiting time which includes warm up time investigate whether your boiler has pre-heat options although there will be a price consideration with this option.

Preheat keeps the water section warm in readiness for usage. I calculated on our boilers that 24hr preheat was about £64 per annum. Touch and Go preheat 4 times a day 365 days a year worked out at around £20 and Smart Preheat used heating water following boiler ceasing to fire for central heating in winter as a no-cost option.

Sponsored Links
1. Can you not cut the pipework between points A and Z.
2. If the distance A to Z is of any length, water in that length partly heated will lose that heat to atmosphere, which is (probably) a waste.
3. Otherwise, as Madrab. Your boiler can only supply so many litres pre minute at a given temperature rise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back