Reducing noise in an upstairs soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
I have a toilet on an upper floor, sit in a hollow core floor. The soil pipe is ground entry into the toliet, so to speak, not coming from the wall. The noise of the water rushing through the soil pipe can be heard below in the living room. It is not to my taste, so at a certain point when I install some home theatre gear I want to sound proof this soil pipe. I am thinking of an option a) wrapping in an accoustic wrap like Tecsound FT55 Acoustic Duct Wrap, b) or replace the pipe with an acoustic model. I am handy at DIY but I am not an expert on plumbing. Given the difficulty in getting a plumber when I live, I want to do this job myself, which option would be best in your opinion? Is replacing the noisy bend which creates the noise tricky to do?

Sponsored Links
Any mods to the pipework are likely to be tricky due to access. Pics or a sketch would help.
If it's a noisy 90° bend you might get some noise reduction by using a rest bend or 2 x 45° bends instead.
Packing the duct space (if its in a duct or boxing) with dense rockwool might be an easier starting point.

This might help

Attachments

• Presentation2.png
    Presentation2.png
    503.2 KB · Views: 50
A building that I worked in had internal pipes “because outside would look messy”.
The second floor gents was above our ground floor main office and the soil pipe ran through, boxed in ply.

The sound on a (presumably solid) flush was horrendous and it sounded like one of those marble runs that kids have.
We always talked about mitigating the noise but I’d try stuffing rock wool around any boxed in pipe and some kind of dampening rubber on the pipe?

I don’t understand how anybody thinks it’s a good idea to run internal soil pipes.

Sponsored Links
A building that I worked in had internal pipes “because outside would look messy”.
The second floor gents was above our ground floor main office and the soil pipe ran through, boxed in ply.

The sound on a (presumably solid) flush was horrendous and it sounded like one of those marble runs that kids have.
We always talked about mitigating the noise but I’d try stuffing rock wool around any boxed in pipe and some kind of dampening rubber on the pipe?

I don’t understand how anybody thinks it’s a good idea to run internal soil pipes.
I agree. I think they ran the pipes in doors to get higher density of houses per unit of land. The house is end of terrace, four in a block.

I have done some research on the acoustic wrap. It looks great, but it is very thick and heavy material. Hard to work with in tight spaces.

Stuff the acoustic rockwool around it and board around that with something heavy eg cement board or that purple plasterboard, ideally a double layer. Make sure the pipe is not touching any timbers, ideally clip to dense material only ie brick wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back