refilling my vaillant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. I have a vaillant boiler that comes with a Vaillant key apparently for opening the valve to fill the system using the internal filling loop. I read on a DIYNOT forum that i just had to open this one valve and that would be it.

I did this and heard the sound of water flowing - so far so good. But the pressure gauge needle didn't move. It eventually moved a fraction but only after at least a minute of the valve being open (the full quarter turn).

I've just had another go and this time when i open the valve there is no sound of water flowing.

What am i doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Check to see if there is another valve. One at the cold water and one on the return. They both need to be open to fill. What model is it?

Sponsored Links
I've just had another good look. I can't find any more valves. just the one that the key fits. I've opened it and closed it again but nothing. No apparent water flow. I think I'm missing something obvious.....

You should be able to remove that key, there should be two holes. One for the cold inlet and one on the return. Open the cold water first then return. Once it is to the desired pressure shut of both valves one by one with the key.

had another look. There are five main pipes all going in the same direction into the boiler. The 4th from the left is labelled Cold Water Mains and the one to the right of that CH Return. The hole the key was in is just to the right of the front end of the Cold Water Mains pipe but seems to be attached to it. It opens easily with a screwdriver. There is not an equivalent hole anywhere else.

I really can't find it.......

How about a picture with the bottom cover off then we can point you in the right direction.

Have seen similar Vaillant combis with only one valve for filling. Sounds possible that the first time you opened and heard water, this way actually filling system up. Along the same line of thought if that pressure gauge was faulty you didnt hear anything the second time as system full or at good pressure and gauge not moving!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back