Reliability of Type B MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following advice on this forum, I propose to put in a new CU.

Someone has told me that these vary in reliability, and that MK are worth going for. Does anyone have any comment on this?

I was proposing to go for the 12-way split-load (product code 96516) from Screwfix, and populate it with my own choice of various MCBs. This unit would seem to be Screwfix' own brand, but are fixings common to other units? If some MCBs are more sensitive to - what, voltage spikes or some such? - are other manufacturers products interchangeable?

Perhaps there is no significant difference between these CUs / MCBs and it is just a matter of what one has used before, but if there are specific recommendations I would be pleased to hear them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can afford it, Hager. MK aren't what they used to be (along with many others). BG get some good reports, others hate them. Steer clear of Proteus.

No real point mixing and matching if you are starting from scratch, just pick the best brand you can afford and use their parts throughout.

Will you be doing this yourself?

No real point mixing and matching if you are starting from scratch, just pick the best brand you can afford and use their parts throughout.
Indeed. I would add that we know so little about the in-service reliability of MCBs (and effectively can't test them) that this cannot really be used as a basis for choosing between makes. The difference between makes is mainly in relation to issues such as physical robustness, amount of space etc. After all, a 'CU' without its protective devices and switches is just a plastic box with a DIN rail and a few terminal bars.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the replies. It would have been interesting to know what the criticisms of the BG unit are, but in view of the opinion that there is no other information on reliability of the various MCBs on the market I guess I will go for that. It seems to have what I am looking for.

Yes, I intend to do the job myself - all the other wiring was installed by me and I am happy to do the job . . . once I have planned out how to provide adequate lighting in the dark location. Must go and crank up my emergency generator to make sure it's still ok!

I was proposing to go for the 12-way split-load (product code 96516) from Screwfix, and populate it with my own choice of various MCBs. This unit would seem to be Screwfix' own brand
This is a British General product, use British General devices in it!
but are fixings common to other units? are other manufacturers products interchangeable?
No they are not all retro fit, and I would suggest you keep to devices that are type tested for the board you purchase

Perhaps there is no significant difference between these CUs / MCBs and it is just a matter of what one has used before, but if there are specific recommendations I would be pleased to hear them.
Hager seem to hit all the right notes, I don't have a problem with BG stuff, although have had one faulty RCBO recently.

Have had a duff Hager RCD straight out the box, but then I've fitted literally hundreds!

Have had a duff Hager RCD straight out the box, but then I've fitted literally hundreds!

Ditto, but again, only one out of hundreds. It worked but was outside the trip time parameter.

Yes, I intend to do the job myself - all the other wiring was installed by me and I am happy to do the job . .

I hate to be a bore and you may be happy to do the job.
But please be aware that changing a consumer unit is notifiable work (also much of the other wiring you have done).
This is a legal requirement. Please read //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

If you propose to change your own consumer unit, you will need to notify it and hire the appropriate test equipment to test the installation before applying any power to it.

http://www.instruments4hire.co.uk/test-equipment/category-29-Combined-17th-Edition-Testers/

DO NOT POWER UP ANY CIRCUIT WITHOUT TESTING IT!

if you are not planning on notifying, then that is up to you as long as you are aware that you are breaking the law, but make sure you do the tests at the very least.

not testing is just pure ignorance and disregarding the safety of yourself and your family and home.

as above sometimes things like RCD will work, but are faulty and dont trip within the correct time requirement.. you cannot identify this without test equipment and later on it could mean the difference between life and death if you have an electrical related accident.

also make sure you are up to speed with the relevant regulations, consumer units arent really a DIY job, but they can be done by a DIYer providing that person is up to speed with current regulations, and hires the appropriate test equipment, and to stay within the law notifies it.

Hager seem to be the best, Eaton are a little harder to find.. apart from through wholesalers, MK are also good but the quality has gone down but still reasonable, Wylex had a problem with MCBs which resulted in a recall which damaged their reputation a bit... Proteus and GET arent known to be good quality and some people wont touch them brands with a bargepole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back