Relocating a manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction ;)

I have recently moved into a house and am in the process of stripping everything out, whilst doing so I have discovered the joys of 'old style' buildings.

The house has had an extension built on the side and back consisting of a Garage, Utility Room & Conservatory.

We are knocking through from the kitchen into the utility room to make the kitchen bigger, in the process we have stumbled across a recessed manhole cover that has been built over (still accessible).

It serves mine and my neighbours foul waste and runs under the utility room, garage and links up to the manhole on the driveway at the front of the house which I believe serves the surface water

My question being, would it be possible to move the drain in the utility room 8-10ft backwards just so that it will be in the back garden as opposed to having a sh*t pit in my kitchen.

Also which parties would I need to contact, I don't plan on doing the work myself but I'm unsure who to get in touch with.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary..............

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary

If the drains don't belong to Thames water ( surface water ),etc, best speak to your Local Council - Building Control to avoid any surprises.

I think its something like this you want to do

building_new_manhole_double_wall_cover_external.JPG

Also, you can have a double seal manhole cover if you keep the manhole in the kitchen.

Regards

Aren't manholes built in English bond any more, or are those stretchers laid in water bond?

My question being, would it be possible to move the drain in the utility room 8-10ft backwards

The manhole is built where the pipes all join and change direction. You can't remove the manhole unless you can alter the pipe runs, as otherwise you will have drain junctions under your floor, with no way to get at them to clear any blockage

This is controlled works and will require a b/regs application. If the drains are in fact public sewers, then you need the water authority's permission too before b/regs will consider the application

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back