Relocating a phone line advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks in advance for all comments.

Im currently decorating the front and want to relocate 2 phone sockets. Ive read some of the posts on hear already but still need further advice...Ive attached some pics to support my post.

socket one, this looks like it comes from the out side wall and Im guessing the main line in?. The only thing fed from this socket is the sky link up. I need to move this as were placing the TV at another spot in the room. Would like to some how extend this cable from where it now to finish about 5metres away with all the wiring in the walls or under the floor boards. Obviously I dont want to balls it up and not have sky!!!

The socket
DSC02896.jpg
[/b]

inside shot of this socket
DSC02894.jpg

socket 2, i think this is a slave socket which i want to take out and again move to the other side of the room. This currently serves the internet and phone.

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

again dont want to make a balls and lose the phone or internet!!

- so can i first of all locate which on is the mater socket move that, then take a slave socket from there?
- is it best to move both individually?
- what cable do i need and do i wire like for like as it is now?
- am i breaking the law, or just upsetting BT by doing this?
- is it a relatively simple job?
- are phone lines best laid around the skirting board edge or are the fine under the floor boards?

Again thanks for any help....Its the first time Ive moved a phone cable so layman terms are appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You are showing two Master sockets there.
You don't need phone connection for sky to work unless your using the push red button functions to buy on line etc.
The Cap and spark gap and resistor are to stop atmospheric damage and make bells work and are only required on Master socket but normally will not hurt.
The first socket is type provided by open reach and I think you should not move but second is off shelf type.

Socket 1 is an NTE5 normally fitted as a master. It appears from your pic that the extension is correctly wired off the plug-in part of the face plate. I suggest that you leave this socket as is (If you move it and have a fault BT will charge you) and wire 2 slave sockets in the appropriate positions (your existing will be OK for one), just connect pins 2,3,& 5 in parrallel. As your Sky appears to be down the phone line it should work OK on a slave socket. As a possible alternative you could swop the NTE5 face plate with a filtered version and run broadband on a separate line, this will lose the plug in filters which are a source of trouble.

Sponsored Links
Only reason for having the sky box connected is if you have two boxes (to proove they both in same house), or if you use red button to buy movies or use interactive sevices

Thank you guys for the replies, in particular Maltaron and Eric mark. I think I will follow your advice and not move the first master socket and run the other sockets I need from there. Like I say im not used to messing about with the phone lines so a little unsure. I have a few more questions guys.....sorry

- socket one is wrecked, filthy and heavily tabbaco stained, and not sank in the wall...is it easy to switch the wires like for like into a new socket? and also sink it into the wall?....( i dont have much flex to play with as the wires are in the plaster )

- if i was to run my slave from this point should they be wired in behind the face plate or just plugged into the socket from the front ( if that makes sense ) but still ran under the boards to come out at a face plate where i need them?

- what cable should I buy to run the slave? Is it all basically the same stuff.

Once again, thank you.

You aren't technically supposed to replace the master socket but I don't think BT generally care too much.

The socket you want for the master socket is known as a NTE5 It has main termainals on the back and then a seperate set for your extention wiring on the bottom section. It comes with a surface box but you should be able to fit it on a flush one fine.

For the incoming wiring just transfer it from old to new like for like and you will be fine.

For the outgoing wiring connect from the terminals on the bottom section of the NTE5 to your new extention socket. Since you have ADSL it is best to only connect pins 2 and 4 to the extention. Use blue with white ring for pin 2 and white with blue ring for pin 5.

as for the cable itself I would avoid the cheap phone cable often sold in DIY stores. Proper BT spec CW1308 cable is the ideal choice. Cat5 is also fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back