Relocating/moving a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon guys n gals,

I have an 8 x 6 ft shed which i need to move temporarily to lay some paving.

Do i need to disassemble it or can it be moved in one piece? Access is available to only 3 of the 4 corners so was thinking of using a spanish windlass or similar to provide something substantial to get hold of/grip.

Thoughts and ideas please!

Sponsored Links
Is the shed going to be emptied of all it's contents?
Is the shed in a sound condition? i.e. no signs of damp or rot etc
Is the surrounding area flat, level and approximately at the same height as the area is currently positioned on?
If the answer to these is yes then it should be fairly simple to move out of the way while you lay the slabs.
Lay some flat boards down next to the shed in the area where you want to move it to. You will need to 'lasso' the shed with either a strong rope or a flat belt strap, (like they use on lorries to strap down their cargo). If you can lay your hands on some brush poles this can make things even easier.
With the aid of a helper pull the empty shed towards the flat boards and as it clears it's current base lay one of the brush poles in it's path so the shed bearers roll on to it. Pull it a bit further over the pole and then lay down another pole. Continue in this manner until it has cleared the base and the first pole you laid down. To move it further away simply pick up the first pole and place it at the other end in the direction you are going. This will enable you to get it as far away as you want/need to.
To return the shed is simply to do the same in reverse but, as the new height may be a little higher, you may need to build a small ramp as you get near to the site.
Basically it's the way many structures such as the pyramids and other ancient monuments were assembled and these methods are still used in a lot of modern engineering projects.

Hi Conny, cheers for the reply, there is some damage to the wood panel/boards but the frame is sound. I never thought of using rollers which would make things very easy although the ground is a bit irregular, i will give it a go.
Cheers

2 of us moved a 30ft portacabin by hand using a jack and small rollers on tarmac. On softer ground use bigger rollers, round fenceposts would be ideal.

Sponsored Links
On softer ground or gravel we run some rails of timber or scaffold tubes in the direction of travel and run the rollers on them

Regarding the surrounding terrain, this is why I suggested laying some boards down to roll on to.

@BoudinC, have you managed to move it yet? Please let us know how it went when you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back