Relocating my boiler - few questions

Sponsored Links
Ok, so I can get a handle on things as I don't want to break the law, fracture it, or give myself any greif further down the line from a paper work point of view...

...how much (if any) of the work can i do to reduce the cost of the pro install?

Why will my boiler likely fail from being re-mounted?

What is a typical (not looking for a quote, just a range from people's experience) cost of such a job given the very close proximity of the various supplies.

If I do replace the boiler, any suggestions for a quality, reliable (non-combi) boiler and it's likely cost (small 3 bed house).

Thank you all who have contributed so far...

These are the things a CORGI has to do!

Fit the mounting bracket.
Fit the flue
Connect the gas supply
Commission the boiler
Complete the Benchmark
Notify CORGI until end March.

Sponsored Links
And people didnt realise sturmey was just taking the pish surely not :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
AS for the OP i cannot believe that someone who has to ask how to remove an olive thinks he is capable to move a boiler and pipework.
NO offence triumph but get real

Ok, so I can get a handle on things as I don't want to break the law, fracture it, or give myself any greif further down the line from a paper work point of view...

...how much (if any) of the work can i do to reduce the cost of the pro install?

Why will my boiler likely fail from being re-mounted?

What is a typical (not looking for a quote, just a range from people's experience) cost of such a job given the very close proximity of the various supplies.

If I do replace the boiler, any suggestions for a quality, reliable (non-combi) boiler and it's likely cost (small 3 bed house).

Thank you all who have contributed so far...

Ok, I understand your position, you are trying to save a few quid and I appreciate where you are coming from. However safety is paramount here.
If you can find an obliging gas engineer and electrician you could proceed as follows:

Qualified gas engineer caps gas supply to boiler and asceses viability of new boiler location.
You drain system, isolate electric supply and remove boiler from wall.
You purchase new flue assembly for boiler (old one will probably not be suitable for re-location).
You drill wall with 100mm (or appropriate size. See Boiler installation instructions) with diamond core bit.
Gas engineer re-hangs boiler and installs flue at new location. Gasfitter connects and tests gas supply for soundness, leaving appliance disconnected until the appliance is ready to commission.
You connect flow & return water piping, flush and vent system.
Qualified electrician connects electrics to boiler in new location.
Gas engineer returns and commissions boiler and completes appropriate paperwork.
You keep fingers crossed that a relatively old boiler will enjoy it's new location.

I have no idea what engineers charge in the area where you live, but if the job is as straightforward as you suggest then you are probably looking in the region of £300 for a qualified engineer to complete the project, assuming the boiler enjoys the journey. Doing the job piecemeal (as above) may even work out more expensive.
Good luck.

And people didnt realise sturmey was just taking the pish surely not :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
AS for the OP i cannot believe that someone who has to ask how to remove an olive thinks he is capable to move a boiler and pipework.
NO offence triumph but get real

All I can say is this. Before you do something for the first time, you need to know how to do it. Once you've done it, you learn and move on to the next challenge. You gain knowledge and experiecne along the way.

When I first bought my house, I had very little plumbing experience, but as I've tackled various jobs, I've learnt more and more.

We all learn in life and we were ALL inexperienced a some point, but we ALL learnt and improved our skills and competencies.

I have far greater skill and experience than I did when I tackled my first plumbing job of a leaking rad valve and wanted to know if there was a method of removing and re-setting an olive without having to replace the pipe work that came from the wall.

Since then, I've added and moved radiators, installed showers and pumps, full bathroom suites etc, etc. None of which I could have done a few years ago. But I asked, wached, learned and can now do these things well.

My next job is moving a boiler. I've not done this before, so I thought about what might be involved, tried to invisage the scope of the work and what inspection / paper work requirements may be needed.

I came to this very good resource and asked....

I've had some very informative replies for which I am grateful, and now know a lot more about what is involved than I did 48 hours ago.

But if you don't ask, you don't know. Now I do. Thanks for all your input.

No offence taken

Trouble is truimph get plumbing wrong you get wet and have a mess to clear up.
Get a boiler wrong and someone else gets a mess to clear up.

it is ILLEGAL to work on a gas appliance unless you are CORGI REGISTERED
That's not what GSIUR 1998 says!
try reading Regulation 3 (1) followed by Regulation 3 (47)
I know what Regulation 3 (1) says.

But do you not realize that the Regulations are issued under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974? They are there to protect employees from unscrupulous and uncaring employers, not to protect DIY householders from their folly. Of course the regulations are also intended to protect Joe Public from incompetent workmen.

I can't find regulation 3 (47) in GSUIR 1998; I presume you mean 37 (4)? I agree that this says that a landlord must ensure that work carried out in tenant's property is done by someone who is CORGI/Gassafe registered.

emply someone

it is ILLEGAL to work on a gas appliance unless you are CORGI REGISTERED
That's not what GSIUR 1998 says!
try reading Regulation 3 (1) followed by Regulation 3 (47)
I know what Regulation 3 (1) says.

But do you not realize that the Regulations are issued under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974? They are there to protect employees from unscrupulous and uncaring employers, not to protect DIY householders from their folly. Of course the regulations are also intended to protect Joe Public from incompetent workmen.

I can't find regulation 3 (47) in GSUIR 1998; I presume you mean 37 (4)? I agree that this says that a landlord must ensure that work carried out in tenant's property is done by someone who is CORGI/Gassafe registered.

emply someone

try page 21 Reg 3 guidance note 47 which starts:

Competence depends on a combination of training and experience

it goes on to say: Although failure to observe any provision of the code is not in itself an offence , that failure may be taken by a court in criminal proceedings AS PROOF THAT A PERSON HAS CONTRAVENED A PARTICULAR REGULATION.

try page 21 Reg 3 guidance note 47 which starts:

Competence depends on a combination of training and experience

it goes on to say: Although failure to observe any provision of the code is not in itself an offence , that failure may be taken by a court in criminal proceedings AS PROOF THAT A PERSON HAS CONTRAVENED A PARTICULAR REGULATION.
What are you quoting from? Who issued this "guidance" or "code" and what was their authority for issuing it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back