Remedial Work to Single Brick Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just joined so hello to all and thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Looking to buy a house that has a single brick / flat roof extension approx 25m2.

It has been used as a utility room, toilet and family room but I would like to eventually turn it into a kitchen/small breakfast room and turn the existing kitchen into a dining room. Survey has confirmed single brick and doubts any permission was gained or building regs adhered too although it has been standing for over 25 years and has a DPC but not sure of depth of foundations but doubts council would have any further interest unless it was unsafe, which it is not.

Surveyor has said it needs another skin with insulation - most probably of timber frame construction - plaster board, insulated, plastered etc and an insulated ceiling and also support pillars. He has also said it needs the floor raising if I want to use it as a kitchen (not sure why unless this is in regs?) - how would this be done - timer again? which would also mean the door to outside would need raising.

As I say, want to utilise it as a kitchen so would I be right in thinking to get kitchen designed and therefore know where I would like electrics/plumbing at that time?

Just wondered if all this seems feasible and whether it would cost me an arm and a leg - and if possible based on my limited knowledge of the job requirements above, an idea of what to expect to pay?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
4k to bring the roof up to spec.

6K to bring the walls and floor up to spec.

8k for a new kitchen.

3k for electrics and plumbing/heating.

Probably.

4k to bring the roof up to spec.

6K to bring the walls and floor up to spec.

8k for a new kitchen.

3k for electrics and plumbing/heating.

Probably.

Wow....wasn't expecting that sort of cost GULP!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Thanks
Think of it in terms of building from scratch then deduct what you already have.

A full reg's building 25m² would cost in excess of 27k to build plus fitting the kitchen. You only have a basic shell that will require extensive works to bring it up to scratch, some of which will be more difficult to do now that the basic shell exists.

Thanks
Think of it in terms of building from scratch then deduct what you already have.

A full reg's building 25m² would cost in excess of 27k to build plus fitting the kitchen. You only have a basic shell that will require extensive works to bring it up to scratch, some of which will be more difficult to do now that the basic shell exists.

Thanks.

I will get some quotes and take it from there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back