Remeha boilers and Honeywell CM9XX thermostats

The closer it is, the less time the boiler stays on. So when it is very close the boiler may only be on for one minute and off for nine minutes.

During the nine minutes off the water in the system will be cooling down, but the one minute the boiler is on may not be sufficient to bring the water back up to temperature, so the mean temperature of the water drops.
As for changing the parameters, the only ones available are:

Cycle rate (3, 6, 9 or 12 per hour) - normally 6, i.e 10 minutes per cycle, for gas boiler;
Minimum ON time (1 to 5 minutes) - normally 1 for a gas boiler.

Unless i'm missing something I assume 'minimum on time' to only apply when the room temp is within 1.5 degrees of target temp , so why not increase the 'minimum on time' in order for the burner to fire for a longer period?

Granted I've never had to change the parameters as I've not had any issues , fited plenty of these CM9xx units too.

Sponsored Links
Unless i'm missing something I assume 'minimum on time' to only apply when the room temp is within 1.5 degrees of target temp , so why not increase the 'minimum on time' in order for the burner to fire for a longer period?
That’s correct, the ‘minimum on time’ is applicable when the thermostat is using time proportional control in the proportional control band (the 1.5C around the set point). If you increase the on time you are making the control mechanism coarser and the temperature will fluctuate somewhat more. For instance, if the output demand is 10% then, with a minimum on time of 5 minutes the system will be on for 5 minutes, off for 45 minutes. Whereas in the standard settings, the system would be on for 1 minute then off for 9 minutes.

I am not sure that the OT controller calls for a% of modulation...it seems to call for temperature, according to the deviation from set point on the thermostat...the broag pcb controls the modulation
You are quite right, I should have referred to my copy of the OT protocol. The controller calculates the required water temperature and sends this info to the boiler. How the boiler achieves this temperature is left up to the boiler. The controller can interrogate the boiler for the current modulation, which is given as a percentage (0%=minimum, 100%=maximum).

How the controller calculates the required temperature depends on whether it is using the room sensor of the outside sensor.

Dan_Robinson said:
OT is just the protocol for transmitting data backwards and forwards.
It's more than that. OT not only defines how the messages are transmitted but what messages can be transmitted. The vast majority of the messages are requests by the controller for data, i.e read messages, from the boiler, which depend on the sensors in the boiler. The only write message is the required water temperature.

A boiler will not meet the OT spec if it is unable to respond to the write message, i.e required water temperature. In theory an on/off boiler could be used with OT, modulation just makes temperature control easier.

Although there have been several releases of OT they are all backward-compatible. The current version is 3. The first thing an OT controller does when connected to an OT boiler is interrogate it to find out which version of the protocol is supported.

i have fitted over 200 remehas with cm907/927 and have only had a handful of problems.
At last! Someone with the experience I asked for. What kept you so long?

I always alter these to 5min minimum on period and leave the the number of cycles to 6.
But that's 50% of the 10 minute cycle time. Do you change the Proportional Bandwidth to prevent overshoot?

The remehas intial fire rate is 2000rpm to start with (about 5 secs) before dropping to the 1300 rpm from where it start to ramp up
I agree, having watched the nF parameter while someone turned the thermostat up. According to a email from Remeha the startup speed (P20 = 25 or 28 ) is used while the boiler is igniting to ensure reliable ignition.

as required to maintain a 10 degree differential on the flow and return. (Which has been changed to 15 degree differential on boiler from july2010)
I would have thought it was required to maintain the required flow temperature. The differential depends on the flow rate, which is controlled by the pump speed and pressure loss round the circuit.

The differential depends on which version of the installation manual you read! The one which came with my boiler says 11C recommended, 15C max; the downloadable versions from Remeha (and on Baxi Partsarena) say 11C recommended, 20C max).

The only problem running at a 11C differential is the very high pressure loss across the heat exchanger (4m on the 18V), which could cause problems with the normal 5m head pump. Increasing the differential to 15C reduces the loss to 2.5m at full output.

The change made above was due to problems with very big systems and large cylinders with 20plus kw coils which would cause the system to take a long time to heat up as the differential would remain often with 40 flow and 30 ish return temps.
Presumably this was because you were wiring up as a standard Y or S plan.

The way round this is to wire as a HW priority, as in Wiring Option 4:

Connect a V4044 diverter valve the "wrong way round" (A to cylinder, B to rads) to X5
Connect cylinder stat to X9/3&4
Connect CM9XX to X9/7&8 (volt free, i.e no link from L to A)
Link X2/1 to X2/4
Connect HW timer to X2/3.

On systems like these the software can be altered but they won't give the code out to many people. Or you can get around it by changing the minimum fan speed to 2000rpm
Do you mean the code to get into the "installer only" parameters?

Sponsored Links
That’s correct, the ‘minimum on time’ is applicable when the thermostat is using time proportional control in the proportional control band (the 1.5C around the set point). If you increase the on time you are making the control mechanism coarser and the temperature will fluctuate somewhat more. For instance, if the output demand is 10% then, with a minimum on time of 5 minutes the system will be on for 5 minutes, off for 45 (!! 5) minutes. Whereas in the standard settings, the system would be on for 1 minute then off for 9 minutes.
I was querying this as well. The whole purpose of reducing the on time as the temperature approaches target is to reduce the amount of overshoot. Setting a minimum on time of 5 minutes is likely to increase the amount of overshoot. Increasing the Proportional Bandwidth should reduce this.

For instance, if the output demand is 10% then, with a minimum on time of 5 minutes the system will be on for 5 minutes, off for 45 (!! 5) minutes.
If, with a minimum on-time of 5 minutes and a cycle rate of 6, the cycle period remained as 10 minutes, then the system output level can go no lower than 50%, which is going to be too high to maintain a set temp in most conditions. The CM control must increase the cycle period if a higher minimum on-time is selected.

The whole purpose of reducing the on time as the temperature approaches target is to reduce the amount of overshoot. Setting a minimum on time of 5 minutes is likely to increase the amount of overshoot. Increasing the Proportional Bandwidth should reduce this.
The purpose of reducing on time is to reduce the system output level to the point where it balances the heat loss from the building and thus maintains the set temperature. The rate at which the output level changes in the proportional band (system output proportional to temperature error) reflects the gain of the control system and will affect the overshoot during a warm-up period. I agree that increasing the minimum on time is likely to increase overshoot because the effect is to increase the time constant of the control system (longer cycle period).

Just done a Google using ""TPI Thermostat" "Modulating Boiler". This threw up a document from the EU on implementing their Directives on "ecodesign requirements for central heating equipment" and "energy labelling of central heating equipment." It discusses the various control systems (on-off, room compensation, weather compensation) and their uses with different types of boiler. When it comes to TPI control it says:

TPI room thermostat, for use with on/off output boilers: An electronic room thermostat that controls both thermostat cycle rate and in-cycle on/off ratio of the boiler proportional to room temperature. TPI control strategy reduces mean water temperature, improves room temperature control accuracy and enhances system efficiency.

TPI RT + variable capacity boiler is not a recommended option.

RT means room thermostat and "variable capacity" means modulating.

This is all very interesting. However, hang a Vitodens 200-W with weather compensation on the wall, connect to the fused spur and the outside temperature sensor - job done! No worries.

TPI RT + variable capacity boiler is not a recommended option.

Naughty Honeywell... Why do we put up with this...

This is the deal.............

Minimum boiler on time , category 2/display 1.

.5 c towards target temp = 5 minutes on/5 minutes off/5 minutes on..........
1 c towards target temp = 8 minutes on/30 seconds off/8 minutes on..............
1.5c towards target temp = on all time/on all time...................

Don't rely on MIs literature. ;)

0.5 c towards target temp = 5 minutes on/5 minutes off
1 c towards target temp = 8 minutes on/30 seconds off
1.5c towards target temp = on all time/on all time
Presumably these are based on your observations and timings. If so, were you relying on the displayed figure for the temperature?

If that's the case, the temperatures may not be accurate as the display only changes in 0.5C steps, so 20C can mean anything between 19.75C and 20.25C.

The 8min on/30 sec off is a strange one. What happened to the rest of the 10 minute cycle?

Were you getting the times by monitoring the boiler or from when the green light goes on/off (assuming its a wireless version)?

0.5 c towards target temp = 5 minutes on/5 minutes off
1 c towards target temp = 8 minutes on/30 seconds off
1.5c towards target temp = on all time/on all time
Presumably these are based on your observations and timings. If so, were you relying on the displayed figure for the temperature?

Yes.

If that's the case, the temperatures may not be accurate as the display only changes in 0.5C steps, so 20C can mean anything between 19.75C and 20.25C.

These on/off timing were monitored and checked 3 times.

The 8min on/30 sec off is a strange one. What happened to the rest of the 10 minute cycle?

This was over a period of 30 minutes for the 1c before target temp , 8 min on 30 sec off and repeating 8 minutes on and 30 seconds off etc etc.

Were you getting the times by monitoring the boiler or from when the green light goes on/off (assuming its a wireless version)?

This is a CM907 sitting on my desk just out the box. :mrgreen:

These on/off timing were monitored and checked 3 times.
You may have checked it many times, but there is still the 0.5C steps on the display to take into consideration.

This is a CM907 sitting on my desk just out the box.
So it's not wired up to a boiler? If that's the case, how do you know when the stat has turned the boiler on or off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back