Remote Control Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quickie!
As I'm replacing an old light switch in my bedroom with a 400w (for mains haolgens) dimmer, I'm wondering if it might be worth adding a remote control switch - purely so we don't have to get up to turn it off when finished reading (for example!). More the missus who thinks this might be a good idea, but appears a bit novelty island to me.
Are there any technical ascpects I need to consider over a normal dimmer switch (I'll be using metal plated)? They seem a little pricey considering you then have to purchase a remote control unit (not sure about the bit where any remote control button can be 'taught' by the switch - does this translate as I can use a TV/CD remote to contol the light???)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends on the brand of switch , but some you can.

why not have a bed side light much easier

That would be handy...save forking out on another remote.
Is B and Q likely to sell this kind of 'universal' remote dimmer?

Bedside lamp/s would indeed be preferable. Unfortunately I don't have a socket that side of the room, or indeed space (due to wardrobes sandwiching the bed). In need to extra sockets/electrical modernisation but that's some way off.

Northbeach said:
(I'll be using metal plated)?
Northbeach said:
In need to extra sockets/electrical modernisation..
before doing anything makesure the current lightswitch has an earth availiable and a metal switch must be earthed. -best check now (with power off) before buying anything!

Sponsored Links
I will need to add a new metal back plate anyhow - I'll be earthing the light switch to this...this is ok right?

Hmm...just a quick google suggest that if the wires coming into the socket do not have an earth I'm best not fitting a metal plate...unless I get a rewire job. I'll turn the circuit off and double check...I've actually fitted a metal plate in another room...should I be worrying and aiming to replace with a plastic one?

Northbeach said:
I've actually fitted a metal plate in another room...should I be worrying and aiming to replace with a plastic one?
yes! you may find there is an earth there going to the backplate in which case you use this earth then link this to the backplate with some spare earth wire sleaved with grn/yelw.

I did actually link the chrome light switch to the metal box (backplate?) but I can't be sure an earth cable us coming from the circuit (now checking)...in which case I get the impression I should :
a: not get another metal switch - can you get plastic remote dimmers?
b: replace the chrome light switch I added to the other room I mentioned.

I had no idea - I (probably like others) was under the impression that earthing the chrome switch to the metal back plate was enough?!?!?

Actually, I have the socket open now - there is a the red wire/black wire with red band (old wiring I'm afraid) and a green wire connected to the plastic back plate's screw)...although it's not the green and yellow earth cable am I safe to assume this earthed ok?

Eventually it's a case of rewiring the whole house I think.

Northbeach said:
That would be handy...save forking out on another remote.
Is B and Q likely to sell this kind of 'universal' remote dimmer?

no idea, i dont work there, i suggest you go and see, dont try their website, it does not show as much

Cheers - picked a suitable one up.
I checked the wiring and even though relatively old the light sockets are earthed...thank goodness. With the previous chrome switch I installed I made sure that the back plate and metal switch were earthed together also.

...trouble now mind...see my next thread about inadvertantly cutting the light cable short within the wall :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back