removable access pan for hidden cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys. I have been thinking of the access with the hidden cistern if the cistern was completely enclosed and something was to go wrong.
I am tiling halfway around wall and I want the box around the cistern/frame to be tiled to.
I have read the top of the box (where the flush plate will be) should be removable with laminated wood or similar. But in case the whole cistern needed to come out I was thinking of fitting a plywood panel that was removable. In the provided images you will see the wall hung toilet in place secured against half of plasterboard. I could either have one whole panel or two halves?

This panel would pop off if you removed the top removable access panel/lid and placed your hand behind the panel to remove it. Of course there would have to be some sort of push fit fasteners which would be secured to the rear of the panel then would mate with some fasteners secured to side batons vertically on each side of frame secured to wall.

If the batons or metal box tube was secured to walls then you could butt the wall tiles on both walls to baton/box tube then fasten the panel then tile on top so tiles are lined up with tiles either side. If required then just the tiled panel can be popped off for access. If you fix tiles onto plasterboad and you have problems behind then you're in trouble.

I need some visual ideas. I have googled this idea and I haven't had much luck. I am wondering if their is somebody reading this who have done this to there downstairs loo? Photos would be great or/and injection of ideas or point me in right direction? Thanks guys

20140605_114743.jpg 20140410_174005.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's any help I arranged a removable panel to line up with the tile grout lines. Fitted the panel on pegs at the bottom and secured with screws at the top acessed via the removable work top.
In the event the unit has to be changed (heaven forbid) the grout can be removed and the panel taken out, a pig of a job no doubt but better than destroying the whole panel!Toilet access.jpg

PS in my case there was room to lift the unit out once disconnected so the full width was not needed.

Hi,

I've used "keku clips". If you Google them plenty will pop up. I've used them to add false backs into rear of kitchen cabinets so I can access pipework. They will give a secure, hidden and aligned fixing. Really good for fixing hidden panels.

I've just done same for my gloss acrylic panel hiding the cistern. If you want I can post a picture to show?

Regards

Paul

I'd never heard of "Keku clips" before.

But like footprints I've fixed removable access panels lined up with grout lines and set brass screws in brass cups to ease removal.

As a matter of interest, I think putting cisterns & other plumbing into walls or compartments is a wild idea in terms of expense and potential maintenance trouble.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for your feedback.
Thanks for your photo footprint. Twobrowndogs, yes would love to see some photos. More the better. I will take a look at those fasteners :)

Hi,
Here you go. it's one I'm proud of too, result was quite neat .. for me :giggle:

toilet1.jpg
toilet2.jpg
toilet3.jpg

.. ah you can see where I initially got it wrong. Think it was case of the not measuring twice rule. As a friend of mine says .. "if a job is worth doing then you may as well do it twice" o_O

Regards

Paul

Paul, good job. Did you make the panels yourself or cut to fit? What's the top (lid) made out of? I guess you didn't tile the walls?
I have found some good fasteners and what I like about these is that they able you to mark the panel first to get the accuracy right. I could invest in some suckers to pull the panel off if needed.
Here's a link to the fasteners.

I am thinking of two separate panels. Once half on the bottom just above the soil pipes then second half above which will have access to cistern. All covered by tiles on top of plywood.

Hi Smileysmile,

The panels were a cut to fit, well actually it’s actually a custom cabinet. The lid is one of those man made resins, not sure what one it is as our neighbour owns a stonemasons yard so we just picked some off cuts for cutting down. The top could come out but not planned to but hopefully the fact it’s front access cistern will mean no need. No tiles on walls – went for the plain look.

The clips look like an upmarket version of the Keku - I’ll remember those too for the self-marking aspect. To remove my front panel I just used the same slim handle I put on the wash basin cabinet.

Thanks

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back