Removal of hydronic plinth heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating my kitchen and have come across a slight issue. After removing all the units I have found a hydronic plinth heater plumbed into the central heating system. To remove the heater would it be okay to simply remove the two pipes from the plinth heater unit and join them in a loop? Or Would this be something more complex that requires help from a registered plumber? Any advice would be much appreciated!

The attached photo's show CH plinth heater and connections.

Note:There is no separate isolation switch for supply to this unit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 714
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 584
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't join the pipes together. Just cap each pipe off witb a stop end.

Just remember to either release the pressure from the system or bung the F&E tank and vent to minimise getting water everywhere, be quick when cutting, inserts in and stop ending them.

I have never done it but it is probably possible to squash both pipes flat to close off the flow until you have fitted a cap.

I think those heaters are very good.

They may have a small value second hand.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I thought that squashing pipes was only used for routeing gas pipes behind soil stacks.

I have a tool for squashing pipes.

But it is really intended for mdpe water supply pipes. It can squash pipes up to about 60 mm diameter.

Hold up!! The OP is not proposing to do anything with the pipes, he's just asking for advice.

My advice would be get a Plumber round with two 10mm caps. Shouldn't be a big job for a timeserved qualified guy in the know.

Tony, it's very bad practice to squeeze 10mm plastic pipes, though it can be done in an emergency. Not sure you can deal with emergencies by Public Transort?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back