Removal of old alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
So, I'm decorating and there is an old alarm in the way!
I don't know the history of the thing, it was there when we moved in.
My question is whether I can just cut the wires and conceal them in the wood above, or not. I'm not sure if they are live as I cannot find my voltage detector thing (is that a sufficient check?) But my guess is not because nothing on the unit functions.
If they are not live can I just go ahead and cut?
If they are live can I isolate the power, cut them and cap them in some way to make safe?

Attachments

• Alarm.jpg
    Alarm.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
A simple query on Google (ever heard of that?) provides the installation manual
https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/78f4cfeb/files/uploaded/Securit 802 User Manual.pdf
and user manual
http://www.systronic.co.uk/c&ksecurit802-usrr.pdf
for the alarm.

You need a two probe voltage tester (NOT one of those magic wands, and not a neon screwdriver) to absolutely confirm that the mains connection to the thing has been disconnected. Note it may just be switched off somewhere and could be switched back on, so you need to find where the mains connection is, and properly disconnect it.

There may be something under that wooden panel above the alarm panel. Now's a good time to discover what is hidden underneath!

Why would you not want to retain it if it still works - especially as you have been pointed towards the manuals

Sponsored Links
Possibly because its power is turned off and the internal battery is depleted. As he says, he doesn't know the history so it would seem possible that he didn't isolate it - maybe the sellers when it was on the market to prevent nuisance alarms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back