Smoke alarm sounds for no resaon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a modern rented house over 3 storeys hence we have smoke alarms in all habitable rooms including the kitchen which I would expect to be a heat detector (although I suspect the original heat detector may have been replaced with a smoke rather than heat detector) and in the hallways.

We've lived here for around a year and in that period the smoke alarms have sounded for about 3 seconds and then after about a 5 or 10 minute period they sound again. This has happened about 4 times since we moved in. Twice when we'd only been here a week or two and then it happened last week and again tonight.

Naturally this is the landlords responsibility however I am curious to understand if smoke alarms can be faulty in this way and how an electrician would go about finding the cause if that is actually a possibility. Can smoke alarms be faulty in this way or could something else be the cause. Obviously we have discounted any actual smoke setting them off.

Sponsored Links
Have the detectors been cleaned recently, the lens area can sometimes become dusty or even insects trapped and cause the detectors to operate, also power interruptions and loose connections may cause the alarms to operate.

Sponsored Links
Some cannot have the backup batteries changed the unit has to be changed.

Got any pictures?

Probably the smoke in the hall going off with the toast and as they are interlinked they all go off.

Get some new Duracels . And Vacuum out all the detectors, but on a low setting.

Probably the smoke in the hall going off with the toast and as they are interlinked they all go off.

Get some new Duracels . And Vacuum out all the detectors, but on a low setting.

PS watch your fingers they are connected to the mains, just slide them onto the bases, oppo to how you took them off.

Already slid back on and no shock! Will monitor and see if it happens again. Will go for the hoover of course.

Thanks to all replies, that does sound like the first move.

Is sticking me tongue on the battery and feeling a buzz a sign of a god battery?

No, it just shows you are really switched-on, Freddy :D

Now you've found the god battery, is it going to be the God Particle ( Higgs Boson ) for 2012 ?

then after about a 5 or 10 minute period they sound again.

That is normal. The alarms will give a pip or two, a few minutes after an alarm has been triggered or if the test/hush button has been pressed.
It indicates that the alarm has gone back into detect mode.

You should have a copy of the instructions, if not you can download them here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/EI_Smoke/Index.htm[/QUOTE]
Thanks but they were not making a pip, every alarm in the house was sounding for about 10-30 seconds. Happened about 6 times throughout the night I first posted until about 6am when they would not stop. Had to switch the smoke alarm circuit off for them to stop. Turned the circuit back on a bit later and they've been quiet ever since. Will monitor the situation.

You changed the batts yet or cleaned them out.

My money is a batt going. Do em all. And clean em.

Its your lives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back