REMOVAL OF OLD BLACK STICKY TILES ON CONCRETE FLOOR & RE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is approx 1960s after being ripped off by tiler I am going to do my utility room myself. Have removed old black tiles which seem to have been stuck down with black stuff which is still coving my concrete floor. Do I need to seal or cover with anything before I tile. Your help would be appreciated once again on this site. HURRAY FOR DIY NOT. :oops: :cry: :rolleyes: :( :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the adhesive is still well stuck to the concrete then you should be fine to lay straight on to it. If it's loose, you should scrape it up.

What a quick reply, thanks gcol. The black stuff is pretty solid on the floor and would never be able to remove it. I really dont think the tiler put anything on when he done the kitchen but I thought I had better check first before I start. thanks again. :LOL: :) :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Those old black 12" square lino tiles were standard floor covering for many local authority houses and others during the 50's/60's and into the 70's. They might even use them today, who knows. I think, if I remember correctly, they were mostly made by Marley. They were laid onto a bitumin adhesive that was spread over the floor, mostly screeded floors The tiles themselves were kept in an on-site oven/heater to make/keep them warm, and flexible enough to follow any irregularities in the floor screed. Once they were laid in place and rolled with a small but heavy roller, then after cooling to a normal temperature, nothing would shift 'em, or the adhesive, except hard work and sweat, whereas some things constructed nowadays, are bodged, fall to bits, break, twist, buckle or fail as soon as you get them. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back