Removal / raising of old wooden lintel to ceiling height

Reaction score
Country
Greenland
IMG_6230.JPG
Good afternoon,

This is my first post on DIYnot :)

I live in a bungalow and am about to knock through from my old kitchen (which is becoming a bedroom) into the cloakroom toilet. I will then make a stud wall in the old kitchen to make the cloakroom big enough to fit a shower cubicle.

I have taken off the old plaster in the old kitchen and can see that this was once a doorway through. I really don't want there to be a door height divide between the new bathroom that I'm creating. I'm not a builder as you can tell, but I consider myself to be able to tackle most things with the right advice. here's my questions....

• Can I simply just remove the bricks above it and then take out the lintel and replace it higher up at ceiling height?
  • Would it be better to buy a new lintel or can I re use it?
  • If not what's the best type to get?
  • Once I've cleared the way for a new lintel do I just make a cement mix and sit the new lintel on a blob of it and then re-brick around it?
I hope that you can see my photo attached.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You already have a knock-through, with a lintel above, leading into the shed roof extension(?). This is a bearing wall.
The lintel is bearing on the column of brickwork to the right of the sealed up doorway.
The semi demolished wall is possibly a bearing wall?

Why dont you scan a rough sketch plan of whats existing and what you propose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back