Remove a light switch not required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help.

I have just removed a wall. The wall had a light switch which is now surplus to requirements. The first picture is the light switch I need to keep which is a double switch the left hand side works the light The second picture is the switch I need to remove

Attachments

• 20190703_210346.jpg
    20190703_210346.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 20190703_210709.jpg
    20190703_210709.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
It looks like you will have to re-route the switch cable from the switch you do NOT want to the switch you do want

upload_2019-7-4_9-15-24.png

The cable with the Live and Switched Live needs to be moved to the other switch and put into COM and L1 The 3 core+Earth between the switches can be removed.

That sounds like too much effort.

The two cables at the switch-to-be-removed can be joined together in a 4 terminal 20 amp maintenance free junction box, then tucked away in the ceiling void.

At the joint, take the red from the com terminal and ONE of the other reds and join together in a terminal at the junction box.
The blue and the remaining red together in another terminal.
The yellow on it's own in a terminal.
The two earths together in a terminal.

At the switch-to-be-kept put the red in COM and the blue in L1 and put the yellow in a connector block on it's own.

EDITED thanks EFLI for pointing out that out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is often the hard way which is correct, or the easy way which is a bodge.
If the easy way is acceptable and permitted and less disruptive and quicker and more practical, then perhaps a 'cheat' rather than a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back