Remove kitchen cupboard lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m planning on re-doing my kitchen and several of the old cupboard units have lights underneath them.
These go back into the wall and I assume at the back of the tiles and into the switch below.

What is the best way to remove these lights and what do I do with the wires?

Is there some sort of wire ending blanking plate I can put on or is there a better way? Obviously I don’t want to just leave bare live wires in the wall.

Your help is much appreciated.

See photo attached.

Thankyou.

Attachments

• 833154DD-335F-4852-9C05-9F1C5EBBE20A.jpeg
    833154DD-335F-4852-9C05-9F1C5EBBE20A.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links
Is there some sort of wire ending blanking plate I can put on or is there a better way? Obviously I don’t want to just leave bare live wires in the wall.

Your help is much appreciated.

Your light switch is what is called a fused spur unit. If you isolate the sockets in your kitchen, then check those lights do go off, you can then safely proceed to opening up that switch. If you then disconnect the L and N marked 'Load', insulate them, push them safely out of the way in the back of the box - you can then refit the switch and restore the power. Note - The wires on the 'Load' side will likely be the smaller ones.

Double check that your lights no longer work, you can then safely remove them. A good idea to remove the cartridge fuse in the switch too.

Are you removing the lights temporarily, or permanent?

Thanks for your reply.
The plan is to remove them completely as I have no use for them.

Is there any way I could replace those fuse spur units with a socket to create an additional socket in the kitchen then it would atleast put it to some use?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply.
The plan is to remove them completely as I have no use for them.

Is there any way I could replace those fuse spur units with a socket to create an additional socket in the kitchen then it would atleast put it to some use?

Thanks again.

Making an assumption that it is on the kitchen ring - you could directly replace it with a single 13amp switched socket. With a bit more effort, you could chop the single back box out and replace it with a double width one, for a double socket.

As you have no intention of refitting the lights, then you can safely chop off the wiring both in the box and close to the surface of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Making an assumption that it is on the kitchen ring - you could directly replace it with a single 13amp switched socket. With a bit more effort, you could chop the single back box out and replace it with a double width one, for a double socket.

As you have no intention of refitting the lights, then you can safely chop off the wiring both in the box and close to the surface of the wall.
I don't think there's space for a double socket in the gap but otherwise useful info from Harry as usual.

Don't recognize those sockets, are they still available?

Don't recognize those sockets, are they still available?

what socket do you mean?

this thing?

CB4075.JPG

is not a socket, it's a Flex Outlet Plate

Widely used for the supply to an immersion heater. Some use them behind kitchen appliances to avoid using a fused plug and socket, but I don't think that's a good idea. They are however much thinner.

You can also get a 13A FCU, or a 20A switch, with a flex outlet incorporated (modern ones are usually designed so the flex comes out of the bottom edge. Looks neat, and liquids will not run down the flex and into the accessory).

Or, like this one, the flex can come out of the front.

MKK1070.JPG

If for some reason you want to have an FCU and a flex outlet next to each oither, you can use a "dual box" as a backbox. It is a bit bigger than a double socket, and holds two single accessories.

AP636.JPG

otherwise, it can be quite awkward to fix and plaster two individual accessories close to each other.

Thanks Harry for your help. Really good advice and answers my question. I will take them out and fit plug sockets.

And Thankyou to everyone else too.

That other thing you could see was indeed an aerial socket. Probably had a small kitchen TV there. Il be taking that out and just stick a blanking plate over it.

I will take them out and fit plug sockets.

When you finally do, can you please take a pic of the back of the old ones , it may have a Makers mark on them.
They appear a rather intriguing curved design and maybe that is what appeals to @TimboTwo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back