Remove kitchen window and insert french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Wondering if I could have some advice on the above. I have a window in a kitchen that looks out to our side return. I'd like to remove the window and the brick below and insert doors. There's a lintel over the window and i'm not changing either the height or width or the opening, just the depth as the doors will fit perfect to the opening.
Would I need planning permission just to remove the 100 odd bricks below the window?
Thanks, Otis
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.34.36.png

Sponsored Links
You won’t need planning permission unless the house is listed

Assuming the doors are glazed you would either need Fensa approval or approval from the Local Authority Building Control if you are fitting the door yourself. Trickle vents would be required if the existing window has them, the glazing would need to be toughened.

Thanks for your reply freddiemercurystwin
The doors would be fitted by a builder and they are oak veneer. The window was a fairly standard fit and I'm nearly sure had not got the vents you talked about.
Untitled-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 12.04.02.png

It should need building regs approval, but there is little point and no value to you if you applied.

That's a solid wall, so the builder can't mess any DPC or cavity up, in which case you might want to just let him just carry on and do it if you think you can trust him.

Sponsored Links
Planning permission might be needed. E.g. if the property is a flat rather than a house, if the property is in a conservation area with an Article 4 Direction, if PD rights have been removed by planning condition. Etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back