Remove screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am trying to get the screws which secure my battery tray to the car out

Tried everything.

Tried soaking them in brake fluid to lubricate them. Tried wrench with correct size star key. Tried impact driver. Tried screw remove kit with electric drill, which is a left handed drill bit.

Not sure about the screw remove kit, doesn't seem to cut into the screw really

Threads are bit stripped now

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
you might consider divulging the make and model of car.

Some photos would help, too.

If the battery is out Steve, what's the chance of getting some heat in there.....with a Mapp gas torch particularly?
Ignore the temptation to bash on until we've seen the situation if you don't mind.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Burnerman thats a good idea. The battery tray is plastic but I can wrap some heat resistant material around that. Just need to buy myself a torch

Those drill bit removal kits normally need you to drill a conventional pilot hole, then the larger reverse bit goes in and when it jams/bottoms out, the original screw turns
A 50/50 mix of atf and acetone is the best antiseize in tests on old bike forums

what do the screws go into underneath? A metal bracket? Or plastic? Spire nuts?

Applying heat in the vicinity of plastic will destroy the battery tray, but if the screw heads were drilled away then the tray could be removed, then the remaining threads drilled out to be replaced with nuts and bolts maybe.
Why do you need the tray out?
John :)

if the plastic tray was core-drilled you could probably grab the screws with a mole, and they would be easier to heat.

Until we know better, I'll guess they are plated self-tappers into steel, and the plating has eroded away.

Tigercubrider the screw extraction kit has a two ended bit. One bit is for the pilot hole and the other is for the extraction. I think brake fluid came second in a Youtube video I saw conparing fluids used to loosen a screw

JohnD I would need to take a look to see what is undeneath, probably would not be visible, but could feel around

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back