Remove shroud from tap

Joined
7 Jun 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I struggle to remove the shroud, highlighted below. It does not have flat surfaces to grip with a spanner.

Screenshot 2026-10-05 122538.png

I assume it can be undone but please let me know if you think this particular shroud is not designed to be removed. I don't want to damage it.

I've sprayed WD40 on it and will wrap it in insulation tape when gripping with pliers. Please let me know if you can think of any other method.
Regards
Blackredgold
 
These look very similar to yours so yes you will need to unscrew them. Perhaps giving it a good squirt of limescale remover and letting it soak overnight might help.

1791208414364.png
 
1. They will unscrew.
2. Quite often they are made of a zinc based alloy. This can corrode so badly that the shrouds collapse when undone, so be prepared to:
2.1 Replace the taps entirely. OR
2.2 Fit tap revivers in their place. E.g. Screwfix item No. 9745P. The handles don't match the existing, but there is a slim chance you could use the old handles.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top