Remove trickle vents

Common sense would dictate a proper exchange of fresh air during winter to prevent the build up of stale air, bacteria and mould spores all of which affect the elderly in disproportion to the rest of the population...unfortunately common sense is being replaced in the ageing population by a I know F all about anything and am really proud to tell the rest of the world just how thick they are...still its their funeral, quite literally...is that another cold you have harold, that's the third one this month.

Sponsored Links
Common sense would dictate a proper exchange of fresh air during winter to prevent the build up of stale air, bacteria and mould spores all of which affect the elderly in disproportion to the rest of the population...unfortunately common sense is being replaced in the ageing population by a I know F all about anything and am really proud to tell the rest of the world just how thick they are...still its their funeral, quite literally...is that another cold you have harold, that's the third one this month.

Hmm, I'm not sure. All the elderly I know grew up knowing the importance of the exchanging of air.

It's those who live in houses sealed up with UPVc. Fantastic at keeping the air and sound out, but you must couple that with having ventilation throughout the day.

Even on the coldest days, we have our bedroom and bathroom window open a crack in the morning. Never get any mould or lingering condensation and we live in a solid brick house.

I had an extension built three years after this thread was created and managed to convince the BCO to let me have windows without them. It depends on the circumstance, so they're not mandatory. They are poor in design but I understand why they were introduced.

As for the existing windows -- expanding foam was fine as long as you don't go wappy with it.
Erm...

yes they are mandatory lol, Your BCO was actually incorrect and i suspect he allowed you to use the ' night vent ' position on the UPVC windows , which is actually , under building regualtions incorrect ( and not the first time I ve heard BCO's accepting this either!), as of June 15th this year ALL windows have to have Trickle vents fitted, including new build, extensions AND replacement. As much as I hate them , being in the industry we have very little choice with them ( except Conservation areas which seem to be exempt...go figure!)

As goes the OP , normal spongy type foam would work , then screw covers back on ... any one looks , you still have Trickle vents. If there is evidence of trickle vents being removed, if you ever come to sell, you may find a surveyor will pick up on this

Hmm, I'm not sure. All the elderly I know grew up knowing the importance of the exchanging of air.

It's those who live in houses sealed up with UPVc. Fantastic at keeping the air and sound out, but you must couple that with having ventilation throughout the day.

Even on the coldest days, we have our bedroom and bathroom window open a crack in the morning. Never get any mould or lingering condensation and we live in a solid brick house.
Yes , nail on head ... ventilate ...open windows BUT trickle vents are now mandotory because people don't open windows

And as a side ... they were never introduced for condensation in replacement frames .... they were widely introduced for the build up Carbon Monoxide and other dangerous gases created by combustible appliances ... hence we used to only have to put them in rooms with Gas, Open fires , woodburnere and the like

Sponsored Links
Yeh right...All that heat going out the window more like and as for them knowing that was their parents and Grandparents still terrified by spanish flu, all the lot know can remember is the energy crisis of the 1970's...seal us up, forgetting that that in 1974 85% of all the house stock had a working chimney, watch Get Carter for an idea of early 70's housing outside london.....Noise indeed, we know your game

June 15th this year ALL windows have to have Trickle vents fitted, including new build, extensions AND replacement
I didn’t know that.

they are a pain, most customers I know never use them, apart from the loo.

they let in noise and lower u value despite buulding regs claiming they are ”thermally neutral”

I didn’t know that.

they are a pain, most customers I know never use them, apart from the loo.

they let in noise and lower u value despite buulding regs claiming they are ”thermally neutral”
Totally agree.. 'here Mr customer have an a rated window with a hole drilled through it ' .. you can't make it up lol

There are exceptions to the rule ..Conservation areas where planning is required, also if the customer is fitting air bricks, PIV systems or similar

As of the 15th of June 2022, new regulations were introduced, making it a legal requirement for windows in England to be equipped with trickle vents.
There are exemptions to the rule (for example, listed buildings and conservation areas) and these should be discussed with your FENSA Approved Installer.

Totally agree.. 'here Mr customer have an a rated window with a hole drilled through it ' .. you can't make it up lol
Makes a complete mockery of the u value! Specially constructed multiple chamber frames completely ruined.
My plans for new DG now suspended till this stupidity is stopped.

Makes a complete mockery of the u value! Specially constructed multiple chamber frames completely ruined.
My plans for new DG now suspended till this stupidity is stopped.
Why would you sacrifice your health?

And do a bit of science on heat loss. When we respire, boil a kettle, run a bath or shower use a gas appliance we produce water vapour, that vapour has a heat capacity, ie it carries energy with it, it took energy to make it and that energy stays with it until it is forced to give up that energy by condensation. Condensation occurs when water vapour hits a cold spot, with double glazing its the corners or the bottom of the window edge...at that point when condensation occurs water vapour gives up its energy and energy always flows from hot to cold, meaning that the heat in the water vapor goes to the coldest point, the outside air. By not ventilating the water vapour you have essentially turned all you windows into fridges...the colder it gets outside the more rapid the cooling effect.

Thats why trickle vents are heat loss neutral, they may let some cold fresh air in water vapour out but the prevent the fridge effect. They do not ruin frames, they lessen the chance of you having a serious lung condition and they also stop point cooling.

I am pretty sure having a forced ventilation system, such as MHRV negates the need for trickle vents. My BC has agreed to it, anyway.....

I am pretty sure having a forced ventilation system, such as MHRV negates the need for trickle vents. My BC has agreed to it, anyway.....
Mhrv , PIV and airbricks all negate the need for trickle vents but have to be signed off by building control, and as far as i know as they are a recognised ventilation system then no need for vents in rooms with combustible appliances ( gas , log burners, rayburns etc ) BUT best check with building control first

Mhrv , PIV and airbricks all negate the need for trickle vents but have to be signed off by building control, and as far as i know as they are a recognised ventilation system then no need for vents in rooms with combustible appliances ( gas , log burners, rayburns etc ) BUT best check with building control first

I'd expect the same, or certainly MHRV would be rendered useless - without a sealed house it won't do it's job. I've heard of burners meant for airtight houses, that have a duct from outside to the appliance, and so not relying on any airflow in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back