Removed a Light Fitting Today

Both lights had halogen lamps fitted, the first was 50W GU10's and the second was a style I'd never seen before. According to the homeowner both needed replaced often. You could replace the GU10 without touching the body of the light but I would think you would hold it whilst twisting the lamp.

I had an electrician in a few weeks ago installing new circuits for a kitchen install. I'll recommend they have an EICR carried out for the rest of the property

I should tell them about live cables being connected to metal work - you never know, they may just miss this during the EICR - unfortunately...

Sponsored Links
If you are only touching the fitting and nothing else and your feet are insulated (standing on a wooden chair/ladder) you won't get a shock for the same reason birds don't when perched on high voltage cables.
Quite probably what's happened if somebody has changed the lamp in the past: A wooden chair or stepladder, even an aluminum stepladder with rubber feet, or on a dry synthetic carpet, it would be quite possible to touch the live fitting and not feel anything under those conditions.

Sponsored Links
It's incredibly lucky no one was injured/killed especially as it's been like that for so long. I wonder what changes to the regulations would be made if someone had died from this?

There is also a chance the fittings have been finished with a clear protective lacquer if they are fairly modern, which would provide a thin layer of insulation.

It might be stretching the imagination, but has anyone considered the possibility that the wiring might be OK, other than the colours - i.e. two 2-core cables have been used, with both reds being 'earth' and the blacks being neutral and S/L respectively? I know that the OP said
...Tested across the body of the light fitting and neutral and got 240V.
... but I wonder how he knew which was the neutral?

... just a 'left field' thought!!

Kind Regards, John

It might be stretching the imagination, but has anyone considered the possibility that the wiring might be OK, other than the colours - i.e. two 2-core cables have been used, with both reds being 'earth' and the blacks being neutral and S/L respectively? I know that the OP said
...Tested across the body of the light fitting and neutral and got 240V.
... but I wonder how he knew which was the neutral?

... just a 'left field' thought!!

Kind Regards, John

Interesting point John. Hadn't thought of that. So if that was indeed the case what I would have measuring was across switched live and earth (the light fitting). I don't understand how someone would knowingly do that, if it was the case, and not sleeve the cables accordingly.

What may throw that theory is that I'm pretty sure the switch would have been 'off'
Procedure would likely have been switch on, switch off, MCB off, drop light and see cables, MCB on (no one else around at that time), quick test, MCB off.

Interesting point John. Hadn't thought of that. So if that was indeed the case what I would have measuring was across switched live and earth (the light fitting). I don't understand how someone would knowingly do that, if it was the case, and not sleeve the cables accordingly. ... What may throw that theory is that I'm pretty sure the switch would have been 'off'....
Indeed - as I said, it was very much a 'left field' thought - but, since no-one else had mentioned it, I thought that I would.

The point is that, no matter how one looks at it, someone has done something crazy (hence not very predictable!). In relation to my 'left-field thought', you say "I don't understand how someone would knowingly do that...", but one could surely say at least the same about what we have all been assuming (probably correctly!) they have done?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back