Removing a single tile from a tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently purchased a property which I believe the previous owner has believe it or not tiled over the mains internal stop cock.

I am basing this thought on the fact that we cannot see a stop cock anywhere, and when asked neighbours either side of our property and across the road, theirs is accessed via a hatch in the bathroom (our bathroom is completely tiled), this would tie in with the fact the old cold water tank used to sit directly above the bathroom and would have been mains fed.

Obviously I am concerned with what happens if we need to put the water off in a hurry and would like to rectify the problem before there is any issue with needing to put the water off.

I am planning on measuring at the 3 neighbours houses the position of the stop cock / hatch, then basically 'taking a punt' that will be where ours is, as they are all bungalow properties of the same layout.

I then plan to remove 1no tile in this position to see if I can locate the stop cock, the tiles are fairly large (approx 150x200mm) so removing one should give enough room to get hand down the back of the wall to see if indeed the stop cock has been tiled over.

Can anyone suggest a method of removing the tile without causing considerable damage? Scrape out the grout, then try and get the likes of a wallpaper scraper down the back of the tile and pry it off?

I will probably form a hatch as per other properties.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Callum

Sponsored Links
Sounds fairly sensable to me.

Can anyone suggest a method of removing the tile without causing considerable damage? Scrape out the grout, then try and get the likes of a wallpaper scraper down the back of the tile and pry it off?

As does this really, at which point your mainly hoping there not stuck down too well! Are they plain tiles, or ones you have a spare of?

Unless its sunk into the wall, presumably said tiles are stuck onto some form of box/trunking over the pipe?

Daniel

Thanks for quick response.

The tiles unfortunately are a speckled effect, on a cream background, I have looked at B&Q etc but cannot see them. There are no spare tiles in the attic etc I am afraid, thats why I was thinking of forming a hatch in possibly timber.

Going by the other properties, the stop cock is accessed via a hatch in the main external wall, the stopcock seems to be almost within the framing of the wall, so when I get the tile off (hopefully) I presume the tile will be mounted on some sort of ply, which I will have to cut through also.

It sounds like quite abit of work and I have never worked with tiles, but I am hoping I can handle it myself.

I thought it was absolutely crazy to tile over a stop cock, and pretty wreck less to be honest, fair enough there is the shut off valve at the road side, but I wouldn't fancy trying to use that when there is 3 ft of snow or the like.

Plus I am unaware if the general public are allowed to switch the water off at the road side, incase they switch off the water to other properties by mistake, not to mention I presume a special tool would be needed.

I would try prying it off first after scraping out all the grout and as much adhesive as you can get at with a good quality scraper.

If that doesn't work and the tile is mounted on ply or plasterboard or similar and there is enough space between the tiles, you could drill a few holes throught where the grout was and cut around the tile with a plasterboard saw or similar. Obviously need to be carefull as you don't know whats behind there

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it well alone personally and install a new stop tap somewhere else.

Can you not find access to the pipe somewhere else in the building, for example in the kitchen or wherever it comes into the property?

The beds between the tiles are only about 3mm, but I had not thought about cutting the whole tile out so to speak including backing, but yes I agree there would be a slight element of danger to that as I am not 100% sure what is behind it.

Do you have any suggestions what sort of tool would have a fine enough blade to go through the tile grout and ply/plasterboard? While at the same time be delicate enough not to shatter/damage the tiles I am cutting between?

Thanks for all the advice guys, its really helpful.
:D

was thinking somthing like a plasterboard saw or you can use a hacksaw blade with a home made handle on it. I'm sure there is probably some sort of tool designed for this sort of job.

TheVictorians suggestion is a good one

TheVictorian:

the mains I believe comes into the property at the point where the current stop tap is (I think tiled into the wall)

Would it be easy to install another stop tap somewhere on the system close to the existing one?

Or is it better to have the stop tap right at the point where your mains water enters the building? So that the water is stopped at point of entry to the property?

If you must cut it out then one of these would do the trick:
Ive also had success in the past using a cut down jig saw blade. Try and get a measure of how thick the PB/Board behind when drilling the 3mm hole in the grout void and then cut the blade so its a few mm longer on full extension and see how that goes.

Daniel

Thanks guys lots of useful information.

I am now more apprehensive of removing the tile and not finding the stop cock, but if 3 other properties round about mine that are of the same sort/layout have it positioned in the same place, I think I will just have to take the chance!

Better that than not doing something about it, then having a burst pipe and really being in trouble!!

foxhole:

I like that idea!!

Would the mentioned grinder and tile blade be easy to use or is there a chance it could crack/shatter the tile?

I can think of a couple of things to do before hacking the tile off the wall.

First turn on your cold tap in the kitchen, fully open if you can so plenty of water is rushing through, go back to the bathroom and put you ear against the tile in question and see if you can hear the water rushing through the stop-tap behind, if you can then bingo you've found it.

Second as its a bungalow i assume most of the pipework runs through the loft, if it does then trace the cold water supply from your kitchen taps or tanks in the loft and see if the mains disapears down into the wall where you think it should, if it does then you are probably on the right track.

Do you not have a stop-tap out in the pavement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back