Removing attached car port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any idea what might be involved in removing this car port? It's attached to the garage and rendered the same. Is it likely to be a beam? Brick? Will a large grinder be a suitable tool?

We don't live in the house yet but moving soon.

Thanks!

21440_47KIRG66_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414_zpsa4hnyfxq.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have to support the masonary that is the bridge. There will be a steel beam that sits on the garage wall, which should not be subject to too much vibration or you will be rebuilding the garage as well.
The way I would proceed is to try and cut through the brickwork and capping about 6" away from the garage wall. Then go the the far end and remove the brickwork in manageable chunks or brick by brick if its easy until you get down to the beam.
Now is the problematic bit. You can cut neatly verticaly on the front but not very deep and the capping should protrude a couple of inches. On the back of the machines construction you can't cut very flush to the garage wall. So I reckon get in on the back and nibble out the beam bit by bit. Careful as you go, because your props will become unstable and the whole lot can topple. You will need some chaps and a step ladder or two to remove the beam safely.
Elf and safety rools :)
Frank

Thanks Frank. When you say nibble bits out, what tool would you be using? A grinder with suitable disc? Part of me is tempted to get a builder to do it, but the other part of me wants to do as much of the work on this house myself as possible, partly as a learning exercise, and partly for the knowledge of knowing it's been done right.

Sponsored Links
Yes I was thinking of using a cutting disc to remove as much of the excess brickwork, then finish off with a grinding disc (NB very dusty!!)
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back