Removing chuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove the chuck on my drill so it can be fitted to a drill stand. How do i do so?

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_200323.jpg
    IMG_20231229_200323.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Drill stands don’t usually require removal of chuck they just clamp above it .?
Make , model?

I need to remove the chuck on my drill so it can be fitted to a drill stand. How do i do so?

To remove the older type of chuck, which used a chuck key, the usual method was to insert the key in the hole and tap it with a hammer, in the usual direction of rotation when drilling and if you were lucky, it would unscrew from a very fine thread. I would guess that keyless chuck must do something similar.

Sponsored Links
Is there a screw inside the chuck? Probably left-hand thread.

Is there a brand name on it, such as Jacobs?

There is a screw... Removed it (left hand thread) and the chuck still won't come off .. Brute force?

To remove the older type of chuck, which used a chuck key, the usual method was to insert the key in the hole and tap it with a hammer, in the usual direction of rotation when drilling and if you were lucky, it would unscrew from a very fine thread. I would guess that keyless chuck must do something similar.
That's exactly what i did. Thank you for the tip. Appreciated

IME old chucks and their internals tend to be jammed in place with the finest possible dust (and sometimes corrosion)

You are not supposed to oil them as this attracts grit, but now you have it off, you might shake it in a jar of white spirit to wash dirt and grease out, and polish off any corrosion with wire wool

You could use a dry lubricant on the threads, Graphite or Moly disulphide powder. Like they do with locks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back