Removing glued-down laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several previous threads (going back many years) about removing glued-down laminate flooring, and the usual conclusion is that it's very difficult and not entirely successful.

Having digested that information, I have a problem. The downstairs of my house is covered by good-quality engineered oak planks. Now a kitchen extension is being built, which means two things:

(a) the gaps below the existing kitchen units, which are being removed, simply have to be filled in to match.
(b) the extension carries on beyond the existing flooring, and out through what was a patio door, and this area needs to be added to.

I have tracked down the original flooring supplier and obtained a sample which, fortunately, is an exact match for colour. As far as (b) is concerned, I suppose the best way would be to finish this with a crossways trim strip, and start the new flooring from there. I had hoped to blend or "tooth" the two together, but I think that's expecting too much.

However, (a) is the main problem, as a joining strip across an existing floor is going to look very odd there. So it would be much better if a way can be found to lift alternating strips.

Regarding the difficulties already mentioned, I assume they refer to the glueing between the boards rather than underneath them (where I understand there is a foam underlay). If that's the case, might it not be possible to carefully saw between the tongues (obviously using a slim, fine-toothed circular saw, not TCT)? The boards are bevel edged and I would hope to work within the bevel.

I know the obvious answer is "suck it and see" but I don't want to start something which I have no likely chance of completing!

Sponsored Links
fraut with problems and likely to be a temporary fix as pre-glued needs to be fully cleaned back to new surface leaving a gap to fill

if its a long run [around 6m]then you will need an additional expansion break anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back