Removing GU10s from poorly designed mountings

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, I made the mistake of buying some GU10 lamp fittings a bit like these (although these look like the surrounds may unscrew giving access to the lamps, whereas mine do not). I can't find the actual models, probably because no-one is daft enough to buy them any more! The front of the lamp lies flush with the surround and is a devil of a job to get out. I've tried the palm of my hand (licking it first), rubber gloves, a rubber suction cup and even got my wife to have a go! Of six lamps, four eventually came out and the other two I had to break the glass in order to get hold of the lamps with pliers, breaking more glass still in the effort.
I wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole.
Fortunately, the LED lamps I replaced them with are slightly longer, giving an edge I can get hold of.

Have I missed some more effective way of removing these things?
653SC.jpg

Sponsored Links
No.

They are just a poor design which are alright when new but after a while being hot they corrode and become 'set in dust' causing too much friction in the connectors.

Might be worth gluing something to the glass with epoxy to get a grip as a last resort.

Sponsored Links
Some GU10s have 3 or 4 handy ridges in the glass to make it easier.
Stick a piece of gaffer tape on the lamp face to make a handle.

In my experience, the less you push the lamp, then the easier it will turn.

Thanks for the many helpful posts.

I did once use tape on a lamp face to remove it, but I seem to remember the tape ripped!

I could use epoxy resin as suggested, but it would be a hell of a job to get it off the lamp again!

As things are, provided I replace the LEDs like for like, there should be no further problems. As I said, these lamps protrude just enough to allow grasping the edges.

I agree that the fitting is a poor design. When the time comes, and I need replacements, I'll choose more wisely.

I could use epoxy resin as suggested, but it would be a hell of a job to get it off the lamp again!
Would you not only be doing it on dead lamps which you were going to throw away?

Ah, but I didn't want to throw them away. If they still work, I keep them 'just in case'. It's a trait of the people where I was born and brought up.

even got my wife to have a go!
With licking, rubber gloves and a suction cup? Top man.

No, she didn't use the rubber gloves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back