1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing ridges in screed ready for tiling.

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by Get_Army, 6 Mar 2020.

1. Get_Army

Get_Army

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm building a kitchen extension. On the existing half of the kitchen there is the original screed which is nice and flat. I've screeded the new half of the kitchen and utility room. I'm generally very happy with the levelness that I've achieved, however there is a small ridge across one area and a couple of slight lumps where my screed crossed through a doorway.

I'm installing floor tiles so I have a bit of leeway in the tile adhesive, and I may just get away with leaving as is. However as the areas are quite small I'd like to remove these high points.

The areas are quite small, say approx 300mm x 300mm and the height to be removed would be no more than approx 3mm.

Can anyone advise a good method of removing the high spots?

I have a great SDS chisel which will get through anything but I'm worried it may crack the screed. I'm thinking maybe something abrasive that I can use to scrape off the excess? I did once have to hire a scarifier in an old house but suspect that would be overkill for this small an area.

Many thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You want to hire a floor scabbler/planer.

4. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Grinding cup on an angle grinder?

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local