Removing ridges in screed ready for tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a kitchen extension. On the existing half of the kitchen there is the original screed which is nice and flat. I've screeded the new half of the kitchen and utility room. I'm generally very happy with the levelness that I've achieved, however there is a small ridge across one area and a couple of slight lumps where my screed crossed through a doorway.

I'm installing floor tiles so I have a bit of leeway in the tile adhesive, and I may just get away with leaving as is. However as the areas are quite small I'd like to remove these high points.

The areas are quite small, say approx 300mm x 300mm and the height to be removed would be no more than approx 3mm.

Can anyone advise a good method of removing the high spots?

I have a great SDS chisel which will get through anything but I'm worried it may crack the screed. I'm thinking maybe something abrasive that I can use to scrape off the excess? I did once have to hire a scarifier in an old house but suspect that would be overkill for this small an area.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You want to hire a floor scabbler/planer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back