Removing socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm planning on removing a double mains socket from an awkwardly sited place in kitchen. There are plenty other sockets, so dont wish to move to another site. Please could someone advise the best way to remove it? There is feed in and it looks like a piggyback from it goes to another socket somewhere. The housing could remain in place and I am going to tile over it. It's not in a wet area!

PS... I dont really want to dig out the cable, coz just had kitchen plastered (I know, should have done it before that! ah well, hindsite a wonderful thing)
many thanks

Sponsored Links
The socket will be on a ring-main, where the cable loops between all the sockets on the circuit.

If you plan on tiling over the area, you'll need to use crimps to connect the cables together (red to red, black to black).

using a suitable crimper

ryanjuk87 said:
The socket will be on a ring-main, where the cable loops between all the sockets on the circuit.

If you plan on tiling over the area, you'll need to use crimps to connect the cables together (red to red, black to black).

using a suitable crimper

The socket might be on a ring, it might not.

Who knows?

As the OP says there is a spur taken from the existing socket point, then crimps are no good.

@ OP you have to either remove the cable fully as the cable will no longer be in the safe zone once you remove the accesory. If you are tiling then it doesn't matter if you damage the plaster. It will not be on show.

You will also have to rewire the feed to another supply, or remove this too.

Or the simplest option is to leave the socket where it is, or remove the twin box, replace it with a single box, and fit a blank plate over this.

This will allow you to use a screwed connection such as strip connectors, as they will remain accesible for testing, insperction and fault finding / rectification in the future.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back