Removing Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can somebody tell me what exactly should be done if we need to remove a socket completely?
There is a double socket on the wall, and it is too close to where we now want to put the sink. I would like it removed completely - how difficult is this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a spur or on the ring/radial circuit? If its just a spur then disconnect at the socket that is feeding it, and fill in the hole.

If it is not a spur then you'll need to connect the 2 legs together. If you intend to fill in the backbox then you need to crimp or solder the connections and put the joint within a suitable enclosure then you can fill it in. You must not leave screwed connections anywhere that is not easily accessible so if you use a junction box you must fit a blanking plate over the back box so you can get to it later.

Thanks.
It is on a circuit.
Am I allowed to have a socket on the wall if it is under a sink (under the worktop?). Is there a minimum amount of space that it needs to be away from anything, say, like a water supply or water outlet?
Thanks

By either crimping or soldering the LNE of each cable at the socket you have made a permanent connection.

Such connections can be buried in the wall and plastered over.

An alternative would be to use the standard choc block connectors and buy a blanking plate for the socket back box. This allows service and inspection thus the connector can be used.

Method A is better than method B, if you really feel water could be an issue either re-route the wires or as an alternative mastic around the face plate.
Again re-routing is better than sealing a face plate.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Sorry, I didnt make myself very clear.
I could move the socket to under the worktop. In fact, that would be very useful as I need a plug for the washing machine. What I need to know, however, is if there are any rules governing the distance a plug socket has to be from a sink (bearing in mind that I am thinking of putting it under the worktop) or from any water supply (say to a w/m or d/washer) (apart from the rule of common sense!)
Thanks in advance

You cannot just bury crimped/soldered connections in the wall as there will be no indication that there are cables there ie those cables will no longer be in a safe zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back