Removing stud partition wall in new build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I know as a general rule, any stud partition wall can be removed without to much hassle due to them not being weight bearing.

Is this still true in a modern house, where all the internal Walls are stud partition?

My worry being that if they where needed in brick houses, why are they not needed in modern houses?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Modern (last 25 years) engineered trusses can span further than timber joists for the same £££ therefore modern houses can get away with less intermediate supporting walls.

Your post is a little ambiguous tbh, is there a specific question in there?

Modern (last 25 years) engineered trusses can span further than timber joists for the same £££ therefore modern houses can get away with less intermediate supporting walls.

Your post is a little ambiguous tbh, is there a specific question in there?

Thanks for that.

Not really, just been asked to quote to remove a stud wall to extend the kitchen. It's a new build, no more than 2-3 years.

They wanted a fixed price quote, so wanted to be sure I knew what the deal was with the wall.

Sponsored Links
In any case, why are you offering to quote for work when you clearly dont know what you are doing? No offense, but....

In any case, why are you offering to quote for work when you clearly dont know what you are doing? No offense, but....

if nobody did stuff they have never done before, we wouldnt progress very far in life would we?

just becasue i asked a simple question, why does that make you think i dont know what im doing?

....no offense..

if nobody did stuff they have never done before, we wouldnt progress very far in life would we?

....no offense..
But if we intend to do it for gain ....... we might risk Matt Allwright turning up :LOL:

Despite what may "normally" be done, every job needs to be looked at on its own.

Some modern builds do have a structural stud around the kitchen to support the first floor joists - done to allow joists to span shorter distances so use smaller sections

You need to check properly

Modern construction techniques include "Timber Framed "construction of houses. Unless you have the plans for the house,(and put a photo/scan of them on here) no one here could possibly tell you whether you can safely remove a stud wall.
Many timber framed buildings do include structural stud walls (as well as non structural, paramount partition walls.) ;) ;)

....no offense..
But if we intend to do it for gain ....... we might risk Matt Allwright turning up :LOL:

Ha...! Didn't think of that.

I'm not like that and don't intend starting now!

Despite what may "normally" be done, every job needs to be looked at on its own.

Some modern builds do have a structural stud around the kitchen to support the first floor joists - done to allow joists to span shorter distances so use smaller sections

You need to check properly

Indeed, but apart from tearing inspection holes in his Walls and ceilings, I can't see how it can be checked.

Modern construction techniques include "Timber Framed "construction of houses. Unless you have the plans for the house,(and put a photo/scan of them on here) no one here could possibly tell you whether you can safely remove a stud wall.
Many timber framed buildings do include structural stud walls (as well as non structural, paramount partition walls.) ;) ;)

This was what I was worried about and due to the fact that the customer has had 4 quotes with wildly varying prices, may suggest that other tradesman have allowed for this.

So what is to stop you quoting one quote for if it is a structural wall and another quote for if it is not? Really unless you have some record drawings you will have to expose the top of the partition and asses what if anything is bearing upon it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back