Removing teleswitch

Sponsored Links
Distribution Network Operator, because it is part of the metering apparatus. Their contact will be at the bottom of the electricity bill, but they are not your supplier.

Have you just had gas installed?

You will have to terminate your dual-tariff supply contract first

You can buy a replacement door for that cabinet.

Why?

It's a period of reduced cost electricity normally including all electrical appliances.

The electrician suggested to remove it, he needs the access and space to fit an isolator switch

Sponsored Links
Distribution Network Operator, because it is part of the metering apparatus. Their contact will be at the bottom of the electricity bill, but they are not your supplier.

Have you just had gas installed?

You will have to terminate your dual-tariff supply contract first

You can buy a replacement door for that cabinet.

We've just moved into the property, their is an existing gas supply

Our current supplier is shell energy which we will be moving away from to a new supplier

Gas heating is much cheaper than electricity, so probably no need for storage heaters. What colour is the hot-water cylinder? Does the boiler heat it? Again, much cheaper than electricity.

Therefore, probably no need for an off-peak tariff.

Gas heating is much cheaper than electricity, so probably no need for storage heaters. What colour is the hot-water cylinder? Does the boiler heat it? Again, much cheaper than electricity.

Therefore, probably no need for an off-peak tariff.

Its a gas combi boiler and central heating

No gas fire

In light of this as we are moving away from the current supplier can the electrician remove it or is it a must that it needs to be done by the distribution network supplier?

Usually attracts a higher standing charge & day rate though
Indeed, it usually does. I would have said 'always', but ....

... as I have mentioned before, whether due to a mistake on their part or what, the E7 tariff I currently have (with ESB) has a day-rate which is actually slightly lower than their corresponding best 'standard' (single rate) tariff - so the E7 is (for the first time in my life) really a "can't lose" situation!

As for general advice, with virtually any other supplier (and quite possibly ESB when they don't make mistakes!), one has to use at least ~35% of one''s consumption at cheap (night) rate for E7 to work out cheaper than a standard single-rate tariff - something which most people (other than me :) ) will not achieve unless they have storage heaters.

Kind Regards, John

Will contact the distribution network supplier on Monday, is this something they would likely charge for to get it removed?
Whilst John is right in saying that the teleswitch is part of the metering apparatus, is it not therefore the territory/responsibility of the electricity supplier (i.e. the company one pays for one's electricity) rather than the DNO (whose responsibility, I thought, ends immediately upstream of the meter)?

Kind Regards, John

maybe .... can't remember now. ... It's a power distribution (DNO) document, and it seems to speak of providing them for the supplier. ... I have not intensely studied it
Echoing what you said, 'maybe'.

However, as you said, it's certainly part of the 'metering apparatus', and we know that DNOs are not responsible for, and have nothing to do with, meters - so it seems a bit confusing!

If the supplier (or supplier's subcontractor) changed the dual rate meter to a single rate one, they would presumably have to at least disconnect the teleswitch at the time, so it would seem reasonable for them to also 'remove' it - but who knows!

Kind Regards, John

Playing devil's advocate, if the electrician were to remove the radio teleswitch surely the distribution network supplier would be none the wiser!

It'll probably take 2 to 3 weeks for them to visit and remove it and likely a cost to myself whereas the electrician has offered to remove it!

I'd be more inclined to just get the electrician to remove it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back