Removing uPVC doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to temporarily remove external upvc doors so that I can get furniture in and out. How is this done? Do the doors just lift off the hinges or do I have to adjust the hinges in some way first?

If it helps the doors were made and installed by Interglaze in the Northwest but they have now gone out of business.

Sponsored Links
heeellloooo Patrician and welcome:D:D:D:D

carefully remove the plastic cover over the hinge

you will normaly have some form of adjustment and securing screws

put something under the door to fully support it [centraly or full length]

start at the bottom hinge decide whether your screws need to be fully removed to remove the door [have they got a full length slot in front of them]

repeat second hinge keeping in mind handling the door wrongly could dammage the top hinge

it may of course be completly different where someone else will help you ;)

Hi big all,

Thanks for the speedy response.

Just to make sure I understand what you are suggesting;

The hinges on my doors have a tubular part on the door frame with a plastic cover under which there is a metal insert about a cm diameter with an allen key slot. This can be unscrewed and the metal insert (about 5mm deep) can be removed.

The door part of the hinge is a box shape with an allen key slot facing the frame. Is this the securing screw you referred to?

Could you clarify which are the screws which you suggest might need to be removed and where is the "full length slot" as I can't see one?

Patrician

the ones i have worked on have between 2 and 4 screws on each hinge that tighten into the door

with an adjustment allen screw running parralel to the door side

the way you remove them is by removing the screws full then seperating the hinge from the door

somtimes one part remains on the door and you only have 1 or 2 securing screws to hold them together

you shouldnt normal have to touch a screw going parralel to the door to release it as these are normaly the adjustment srews

if there are no obviouse screws to release the door experiment on the centre hinge to work out how to release them

or wait for other ideas ;)

Sponsored Links
just a quick reply had to take off the mother inlaws upvc door off the other day just lifted it and it came off worth a try before un screwing hinges :idea: :)

could be easier to remove glass from window in room where stuff is bein moved from?

A picture or link to the hinge type would help. Most common hinges have pins top and bottom that need top come out in order to seperate the door/frame hinge sections. These pins are held in place by grub screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back