Removing wall, do I need to leave a 'stub'? (Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm removing a masonry wall that was originally built back in the days when two doors were required between the kitchen and bathroom. As you will see from the pics below, the wall to be removed butts up to and forms a corner with the outside wall, with the outside door hinged on this corner. 650mm back from this corner is the kitchen window, there is no masonry or lintels above the door or window, just a wooden beam running the length of the wall for the roof joists to rest on which means there is a brick pier as such.

Now my Dad is obsessed with leaving stubs on removed walls (he is not a builder or anything like that) to maintain their strength, problem is our kitchen is very small and this stub will get in the way. The outside door will be removed within a couple of weeks and bricked up, meaning that the 'pier' of bricks between window and door will be extended to meet the bathroom wall and therefore be strengthened.

Before I get too carried away, do I need to leave this stub? I think the bricks are just butted up to the corner, they are not 'laced' into each other.

Thanks for any advice :) (Our brickie friend is away snowboarding, hence I'm asking you lot this!)

Sponsored Links
If this wall was a later addition, not tied in and the door will be getting filled in anyway, I would say no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back