Renault Megane Estate Mot Failure Ball valve AGAIN !! ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone give me advice please I have taken my car which is a 2011 reg to an independent Test Centre and my beef is not with these at all . Last year I had a failure which was DANGEROUS TO DRIVE …..Track rod end ball joint worn to the extent there is a serious risk of detachment Nearside . I had this fixed for around £130 took it back and passed .

Fast forward 12 months I go to the same MOT place an independent and this year I get …….yep I know you know whats coming lol ( I aint laughing ) and this is only 10'000 miles later .

Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn nearside front lower
Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn offside front lower

Are these ball joints different to the one I had repaired last year ?? ( as I am clueless )

Because I have read you should get at least 70'000 miles out of a ball joint replacement .
I don't do anything untoward in this car just normal driving .Because if its the same Ball joint how do you explain this, is it normal ?? .

Also before I get ripped off, as I will ring round will I need my tracking doing after this repair at all, as I know I will get asked and feel that's just a rip off to bump repair price up .

Thanks in Advance

Alan

Sponsored Links
The track rod end connects the steering mechanism to the suspension, allowing the front wheels to steer.
I reckon the problem now is the wishbone bottom joint, which allows the suspension to swivel at its lowest point, and also rise and fall over bumps.
The tracking shouln’t be affected when the bottom joint is replaced, but it would be desirable when the track rod ends were done.
On some vehicles, the entire wishbone is replaced, on others the joint is separate......I’m not sure on yours.
John :)

Hi Thanks for that as I had no idea, that means then next MOT the other track rod end is prob going to want doing as im gathering there are 4 on front 2 uppers and 2 lowers .

Any ideas on possible repair costs at all checked the parts and there coming up around £25 each per ball joint from euro parts .

I was mad when I first knew as thought it was the same part I had replaced which should have lasted the car out to be honest.

Sponsored Links
There are two track rod ends, one on each side of the car connecting the steering rack to the front suspension.
Likewise there is a lower ball joint on each wishbone, one on each side. These components have a long life but if however the rubber boot that protects them gets split then failure is very quick.....a matter of a couple of months.
Track rod end replacement, budget 30 minutes but tracking may be necessary if the mechanic doesn't get the replacement just right;
Ball joint replacement say 1 hour 15 mins, maybe longer if the complete wishbone has to come out. A new pinch bolt should be fitted too.
John :)

Hi
Just had my first quote and I don't trust garages I have 2 quotes depending on what type of ball joint it is . One quote is £176.80 the other is £358.78 for both of them .This is from the same garage as there not sure which type of ball joint it is , which I don't get because they have the Reg .

So I can be more precise on getting quotes can anyone tell me which type of ball joint it is , he has said he can say as soon as he looks under car but I know that old trick once they got you there you end up having it done there .

So if I take a pic and pop it on here of inside of wheel would someone instantly know if the ball joint is separate or part of the wishbone as I think that's what he was saying .

Thanks

Alan

You could always try putting your reg No into eurocarparts website and see what it says. Other online retailers are available.

Can anyone tell me if the ball joint is separate as in a cheaper repair or is it part of the wishbone etc and a larger more expensive repair .

Attachments

• BJ6.jpg
    BJ6.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Balljoint1.jpg
    Balljoint1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 312
  • BJ2.jpg
    BJ2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 301
  • BJ3.jpg
    BJ3.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 305
  • BJ4.jpg
    BJ4.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 303
  • BJ5.jpg
    BJ5.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 317
You could always try putting your reg No into eurocarparts website and see what it says. Other online retailers are available.

I have already done that thx and it shows separate part but what confuses me is the mechanic you ring up looks at the parts on lists like that from your reg so surely they should know . I have included pics in reply above for anyone with a bit of knowledge thanks .

Riveted on ball joint. These can be drilled or ground off. The new joint comes with bolts. About £15 a side. Sometimes though if the wishbone bushes are buggered it’s best to change the whole wishbone. Still only around £30 - £40 each.

Sponsored Links
Back