Renault Megane Estate Sport 55 plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kerbside front spring dropped and pierced the tyre. What do you think this would cost to repair (roughly). Any advice would be appreciated also on how to carry out this repair myself.

Sponsored Links
Not to difficult a job if you are a reasonably competent DIYer. I expect Burnerman will be along presently, he will put you right.

Peter

I'll see if I can help - if it aint a bit late!
This job is reasonably DIY, especially so if the spring strut is bolted to the bottom wheel hub - so much better if thats the case!
Working from under the bonnet, the central strut nut needs to be slackened, but not undone.
After that, the 3 bolts that hold the strut top to the under wing are removed, which allows the complete strut to wave about.
With the car up on jacks and stands, the bolts connecting the lower strut to the wheel hub are removed. This allows you to release the strut from the car, together with the broken spring.
With the strut on the bench, or better still in a vice, its time to use a pair of spring compressors to compress the spring before removing the central strut nut. Only when the spring compression is done should you do this.
The top of the spring sits in a revolving shoe which is removed, and then the kaput spring is lifted clear, ready for replacement.
If you want to go ahead, you'll be amazed how much the new spring has to be compressed before it will fit - and if you buy a spring from Mr. Renault it is likely to be colour coded too - so use a motor factor.
Post back if you want to bash on!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back