Render structure concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are buying a house but it has no building regs on the extension we are concerned about a large crack on the back of the property and wondering whether to get a structural survey done.. Does anyone know if the crack in the picture is anything to worry about or just render. The extensions over 20 yrs old.
IMG_20190723_175446.jpg
IMG_20190723_175446.jpg
IMG_20190723_175446.jpg
IMG_20190723_175311.jpg
IMG_20190723_175329.jpg
IMG_20190723_175336.jpg
IMG_20190723_175415.jpg
IMG_20190723_175311.jpg
IMG_20190723_175336.jpg

Thanks very much
Dee

Sponsored Links
Deedandee, good evening.

Your question first.
Are there any internal indications of a crack, which closely follows the render crack externally?, or is there a crack of any sort internally below the area of smooth render?
There are several other cracks in the smooth cement render one at high level near the roof apex, another [almost] horizontal crack running to the right from [about] the furthest out point of the curved crack where it deviates down.

OK Other things??
1/. No Building Regs? what about planning [if needed?] I would be wary?
2/. The lead flashing at the base of the smooth cement render has at least 2 cracks in it
3/. Down pipe has [shall I call it] interesting joints, looks like inventive use of "Flashband??"
4/. The flat felted roof to the front of the smooth cement rendered area of wall has what appears to be large horizontal cracks in the felt just above the rain water gutter, almost all the way across the roof
5/. The timber facia to the left of the flat felted roof is rotten.
6/. There is a hairline render crack between roof and window in the lower area of the extension. This crack is following the line of the Concrete lintel to the window, 99% probability thermal only.

Ken.

Hi ken

We didn't see anything in the house internally it was all external. The extensions were on the house when our seller bought it 20yrs ago so their knowledge is limited. I know nothing about houses unfortunately but I think a full survey would be best as these things are concerning. Thanks for your advise

Dee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back