rendering a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just a quick question i have bin asked to re render a house which will envolve hacking off and re rendering the entire house as pretty much all of the exsisting render has blown. my question is do i need to get regs envolved to do this and how will it effect my job i.e time and price . i am a confident renderer and have done many rendering jobs in my years on the trowel the reason i ask is i mainly sub off of other contractors who sort all the ins and outs of the job for me and i just turned up and did the hard bit but recently given the economy a few of them have ceased to trade and now im takeing on alot of work on my own and would just like to do things by the book and understand a bit about the rules and regulations to follow

many thanks
JRP

Sponsored Links
Technically speaking building regulations requires you to consider upgrading the overall thermal performance of the walls. This applies to any situation where you renovate more than 25% of the surface area of an element - which is obviously the case here.

It may be that the walls are allready insulated by some other means - such as internally or within the cavity. If so then you would be ok.

You are hacking off all the render and that is a prime opportunity to upgrade insulation. I'd suggest it to the client if I were you. If they decide to upgrade insulation in 5 years time because gas and electricity costs have rocketed to five times what they are now they will be kicking themselves that they didn't do it when they had the render off.

thank you for your speedy reply i wassnt sure weather i needed to notify anyone about the works but now i do thanks and i took the chance to say to them about geting more insulation wen i met them so thank you for letting me know i did the right thing

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that you can get cavity wall insulation cheap with a 'grant' usually via your power supplier.

We did this in our renovation project and had the cavity filled on a 3 storey detached 6 bed house for £290 iirc. Also loft insulation for £190. Good value I think. Can be free if you qualify by age/benefits, etc.

We used Mark Group who were cheaper than some others supposedly using the same grant system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back