Reoccurring wall cracks - What should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rental flat and it’s location is pretty much perfect for my needs. So I don’t really want to move any time soon.

But since moving in,
I realised there’s a lot of cracks all over the place.
Pretty much every single wall or ceiling has at least one crack across it (left to right).
They’re not like HOLES, I’m pretty confident it’s not about to collapse or anything like that. You could easily visit without even noticing them unless you looked for them.
So I begun patching a couple of them.
But I begun to notice that there’s previous cracks, someone has patched over before..

Which leads me to believe these cracks keep coming back.

I really don’t intend to move from here any time soon. But it is a council flat. So I don’t REALLY want to spend all of my money improving it?
I mean, it’s not exactly mine? So pulling the plaster off and sorta starting fresh is definitely not an option.

I’ve noticed the boards around the bottom of the wall (I forgot their name).. also have gaps between them and the wall. Which I’d like to believe I would have noticed before or the guy would have mentioned when he installed flooring for me. He chatted a lot…

I assume if I wallpaper the walls, the cracks won’t show up again.
But then there’s the hassle of a couple years time the wall paper needs to be replaced or starts coming off or whatever.
I’ve stripped wallpaper before, with A steam gun and it’s never a fun job.

Did I mention the walls basically seem to have lumps and bits under the paint. I wouldn’t be surprised if I found pieces of spaghetti on the wall that have been painted over.. paint is bumpy in places where it’s dripped down. In fact idk if they used paint or goo.

Please what can I do?
Bearing in mind it’s on all of the walls AND ceilings.

Oh yeah, as well as the wood floor-wall border it’s also done cracks around some door frames.

The flats are built on a hill and the rain from further up the hill would probably run down under these buildings, causing them to move a bit. Which is what I assume causes this. Yorkshire btw!

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that Wood floor-wall borders... a.k.a. Skirting boards.

Gaps around skirting boards are quite common, it can be shrinkage or something more.

You might be better posting a couple of images to show some of the problems... you're bound to get some replies.

(y)

I'm guessing that Wood floor-wall borders... a.k.a. Skirting boards.

Gaps around skirting boards are quite common, it can be shrinkage or something more.

You might be better posting a couple of images to show some of the problems... you're bound to get some replies.

(y)
Yes skirting boards!

The gaps around the skirting boards are quite large tho. You could slip a coin or two behind them.

They’re just small cracks across the walls and ceiling. Quite difficult to capture in a picture without just looking like a small line on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back