Repainting cracked ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how well my photo came out but the artex ceiling in our main bathroom has developed cracks since we moved in 5 years ago, only noticed today that half the plasterboard joints are showing.

It's an old property so this could be 10+ years old.

Is this something that repainting will take care of or do I need to make repairs? If repainting, should I bother with 'crack free' paint or just regular bathroom paint?

Thanks

16408889165062350834204669307256.jpg

Sponsored Links
You will need to fill the cracks with a filler.

Folk will go on about cutting a big v all along the crack, then fill it - but the repair will stand out like a sore thumb unless you are very experienced.

I think the crack will re-appear whatever you do (unless start fitting wooden noggins above, removing artex, using scrim tape and all that kind of drama), so maybe carefully run a blade along the crack, and rub some filler in, carefully removing the excess. Too much filler will make the repair too obvious, so less is more when it comes to the filling.

After you have filled the crack, you could try the crack-free paint, but I wouldn't expect too much from it.

How much time and effort are you prepared to put in to this?

I think you're last question is key @sparkwright... I am no fan of artex so "not too much" is the real answer.
I've never lived in a house more than 5 years as an owner so I've honestly no idea if this is one of those things covered by redecoration or not. It has been there probably 10 years and I have a suspicion we caused the cracks crawling around the roof fixing other things.
Long term we'd replace the ceiling so for now we're looking to refresh the room only. I'm happy to fill or similar before painting but beyond that it can stay cracked until we properly redo the room in coming years

I think you're last question is key @sparkwright... I am no fan of artex so "not too much" is the real answer.
I've never lived in a house more than 5 years as an owner so I've honestly no idea if this is one of those things covered by redecoration or not. It has been there probably 10 years and I have a suspicion we caused the cracks crawling around the roof fixing other things.
Long term we'd replace the ceiling so for now we're looking to refresh the room only. I'm happy to fill or similar before painting but beyond that it can stay cracked until we properly redo the room in coming years
If that's the case I'd just paint it with a good quality emulsion which should temporarily hide the hairline ( by the photo) cracks.
From experience ,sometimes filled cracks ends up looking like filled cracks ,if that makes sense, plus if it's not flexible and the issue is the boards, it's probably going to crack again anyway.

Sponsored Links
I have done this 4 years ago on a textured ceiling in my house and still sound. Got Dulux emulsion paint and diluted 50/50 water like and applied several coats probably 5, then gradually diluted less and less and applied several coats each time over 4-5 days. I painted the whole ceiling only when the crack line disappeared. Basically the emulsion paint is your filler. The advice was given from Dulux.

I have done this 4 years ago on a textured ceiling in my house and still sound. Got Dulux emulsion paint and diluted 50/50 water like and applied several coats probably 5, then gradually diluted less and less and applied several coats each time over 4-5 days. I painted the whole ceiling only when the crack line disappeared. Basically the emulsion paint is your filler. The advice was given from Dulux.

I've often wondered how people manage to paint a ceiling with watered down emulsion paint? Is there a " technique" ? I did try once on newly skimmed ceiling and there was more paint on me and the floor than the ceiling. I gave up.

I've often wondered how people manage to paint a ceiling with watered down emulsion paint? Is there a " technique" ? I did try once on newly skimmed ceiling and there was more paint on me and the floor than the ceiling. I gave up.
I put an old sheet on the floor and did slowly with a brush. Just do it slowly and don't load the brush too much plus patience.
I painted a newly skimmed ceiling this weekend, first coat 20% diluted, again with brush on the edges and roller elsewhere and only few drops on the floor, I am not a pro.

I decorate for a living.

I can paint a whole room and the customer will see no evidence of paint on my clothing. If I tried using a 50/50 mix, I would need to buy new clothes.

I have never understood the 50/50 advice regarding mist coats. The mist coat provides two functions; 1- to reduce the level of suction in the plaster (50/50 does eff all for the suction levels), 2- to act as "search coat", once you can see imperfections, you can sand them (but the level of colour coverage will be so poor that you can't see what needs sanding.

My advice is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations- in the case of Dulux Trade, it is dilute emulsion by up to 10%. It is splatter free and does what it should. At 10%, I can apply a wet on wet coat and it "almost" looks finished. I hate leaving site at the end of each day with a wall that looks rough. The next day I apply the full fat coat or sand/fill as required.

The 50/50 was advice from Dulux when I called them on how to repair line crack in textured ceiling.

The 50/50 was advice from Dulux when I called them on how to repair line crack in textured ceiling.

Sorry, my post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the people who say that their plasterer, or someone on Youtube, recommended a 50/50 for painting new plaster.

BTW, very slight hairline cracks with no visible bounce- I often brush PVA wood glue in to them and wipe away the excess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back