Repair ceiling where old stairs where

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stairs 1.jpg
Stairs 2.jpg
Stairs 2.jpg
Hi, Im refurbishing a house (bungalow circa 1968) we have and the previous owner had installed a terrible loft conversion, I have stripped everything out and now need to remove the stairs, they are about 3ft wide, i need to close the hole in the ceiling thats left, about four joists.
They were originally cut right on the internal wall (brick) and then 3ft from there out in the ceiling, is it just a case of overlapping matching timber and bolting together at either end to support the new plasterboard?.
I will try and attach some images.
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Pretty much yes.
you need to have new joists that overlap where they join and are fixed in place.
allow enough to firmly screw the joists together on both sides.
is it remaining a loft?
check the ceiling finish for asbestos.

Hi Thanks, yes its just going to be a loft with a small storage area around the old hatch, which is still there just boarded over, the rest will be insulated over the board. ceilings are ok , i had them tested, but am going to double board in each room anyway as we get in there. Just wondering what suprises will be above the door when i remove the stairs :eek: I assume only one side needs new timber attaching?
Mark

presumably the wall supports the joists.
I'd screw the new timber to both sides. Watch out for noggins that stop a long bit of timber being threaded into the gap.
If in doubt, the longer bit should be on the opposite side to the wall, as the wall will support the short side.
Or add timber on both sides, but then fill the hole with a cut to fit joist screwed together.

Sponsored Links
Hi, so a piece down each side and one to fill in the middle?, 30cm overlap enough?, there old style timbers 4-5 inch so will have to have matching wood cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back